Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    That is so. It is a bit like everyone wanting to be 'above average' - only more so. No doubt someone will coin 'superoutstanding' (superstanding?) to compensate.
    As well as demanding that everybody should be above average, Ofsted now also states that being "satisfactory" is not satisfactory.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      As well as demanding that everybody should be above average, Ofsted now also states that being "satisfactory" is not satisfactory.
      As is Clegg's view on 'social mobility'.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        That is so. It is a bit like everyone wanting to be 'above average' - only more so. No doubt someone will coin 'superoutstanding' (superstanding?) to compensate.
        I read a review recently that noted that the subject was guaranteed to give you 200% effort.

I can feel the language slipping away ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

"When you think about it ... "

Usually uttered by someone who seldom does, as a preface to a platitude.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I read a review recently that noted that the subject was guaranteed to give you 200% effort.

I can feel the language slipping away ...
            It's odd isn't it? The desire to create superlatives seems inevitably to drive the meaning down towards mediocracy. It's a little like the second law of thermodynamics - everything in a closed system tends towards chaos. With words, everything tends towards platitudinous mush.

Comment

• amateur51

The interchangeablity of "Don't think I'm being funny, but ..." and "With the greatest possible respect ...", just the accent and background varies, but the insincerity is identical

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Have I mentioned this before?

If any politician uses the word "clear", it almost certainly means the opposite.

"Let me be clear about this". "We've made it perfectly clear". "Clearly....."

Comment

• JFLL
                  • Jan 2011

‘Look’, as prefaced to a reply to an interviewer, as in ‘Look, the Chancellor has made it perfectly clear that …’ This always used to be a sign of impatience with the questioner (as though he had asked a silly question), but it now seems to be used almost routinely, presumably to show how serious and sincere the speaker is.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                    ‘Look’, as prefaced to a reply to an interviewer, as in ‘Look, the Chancellor has made it perfectly clear that …’ This always used to be a sign of impatience with the questioner (as though he had asked a silly question), but it now seems to be used almost routinely, presumably to show how serious and sincere the speaker is.
                    It became one of Blair's verbal ticks, signalling both irritation (at being rumbled) and impatience (at being rumbled). It was almost a diversionary tactic as in "Look!" "Where?"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      "Redact" is the latest word that we can expect to done to death in the next few months by those in the media who like to show off a bit.
                      Was this a response to my message?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

At the risk of mixing threads, "there's a cheque in the post" (or a poke in the chest, as some of us used to say)...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Whenever I hear something is a 'shoo-in', I confuse it with putting shoes on - something I do with increasing difficulty these days which clouds the issue still further...
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

A word that really gets my hackles up is when 'refute' is used by politicians, etc when they really mean 'deny' but want to give the impression of something stronger.

Even more irritating is the fact that no journalist or interviewer ever challenges people who use 'refute' misleadingly in this way.
                            Last edited by johnb; 23-02-13, 20:32. Reason: corrected 'heckles' typo

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                              A word that really gets my heckles up .

... they have really classy hackles in Bristol

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... they have really classy hackles in Bristol

Perfection, vinrouge!!
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X