Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • handsomefortune

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    As also in 'Across all platforms'.
    Eh?
    ugh!

also x needs to be 'dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century'......yuk! (sorry if that one's already been posted btw).

can i lodge a complaint here, about the media pretending all sorts of things, including national institutions, which might be spoken of as being 'an old lady', or 'a pensioner'. this habit is absurd imo and slightly creepy. personally speaking, it also sort of implies, as a subtext, that even 'old' ideas must automatically therefore be bad ideas somehow? all of em... 'a raft of clean sweeps across all platforms are urgently required' .....presumably this language suits martian strivers best, especially those with access to time travel and nuggets of gold!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

"Mount" Snowdon ?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        "Mount" Snowdon ?
        All relative ... in Glasgow we have a towering suburb called Mount Florida, home of the world-famous Hampden Park ... and by Floridan standards it is well and truly Himalayan.

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

So-and-so’s ‘take’ on something, much beloved by the Radio Times. It often seems to mean ‘X’s pointless modernization and ruination of a perfectly good film/piece of music/ novel etc.’, as in ‘X’s take on Jane Austen’, where it possibly also has the connotation ‘lots of anachronistic sex scenes’, ‘Fanny Price as a prostitute’ etc. A related word is ‘spin’, e.g. from RT this week, where Pulcinella is described as ‘Stravinsky’s modernist spin on the elegant baroque scores of Pergolesi’, as though Stravinsky was some Blairite spin-doctor massaging musical history.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
            So-and-so’s ‘take’ on something,
            And on a similar tack, "channeling" - as in "actor x was channeling actor y"

Comment

• Roehre

"Mount" Snowdon ?
              Yr Wyddfa

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                And on a similar tack, "channeling" - as in "actor x was channeling actor y"
                or even ......... no I promised not to go there

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

or even ......... no I promised not to go there
                  (looking for "puzzled" emoticon but can't find one, so, er, ?)

Comment

• arancie33
                    • Jan 2011

"I want to share with you ........."

Apols if it has appeared earlier - it must have done, surely!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

In response to being offered a cup of tea, etc.:

"If you can spare it."

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Three times in a short report on "PM" this evening: "I am stood........"

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The last interviewee on the Media Show with Steve Hewlett this evening, Andrew Mullins, talking about the new local London TV channel, owned by the owners of the Evening Standard, Independent and I. I think he gets the award for the most jargon used in the shortest space of time - enabling factors...media value...drive audience...monetise () [the audience]...driving audience to the platform () - worth a listen for jargon aficionados - interview begins at 21.40.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            Three times in a short report on "PM" this evening: "I am stood........"
                            Professor Brian Cox, who should know better, says it all the time.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

"I'm not being funny but....."

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

No specifics, but all the c**p jargon bosses use , when what they mean is " we are sacking some of you to save our own over paid positions.".
                                i could give a spectacular example of this tonight, but you never know......
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X