Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Lisa Gallagher, BBC Yorkshire Region weather reporter, uses "headed" instead of "heading" all the time.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Heading.

You are only headed, if Wayne Rooney has a go at you.
      He almost did once, but that's another story ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        He almost did once, but that's another story ...
        See what happens when two nutters meet!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          See what happens when two nutters meet!
          Wayne's a lovely chap ...

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Lisa Gallagher, BBC Yorkshire Region weather reporter, uses "headed" instead of "heading" all the time.
            A scientist - see Oddball's post #630. These forecasters all seem incapable of using correct English. We now regularly hear "through the day", afternoon, or whatever, or even worse, "as we head through the day". The correct word, surely, is "during".

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

If we're told something happens through or throughout the day, we assume that it starts happening early in the morning and continues for most of the following twelve hours or so.

If it happens during the day, it happens at some point, but may not cover the entire period. There's also less of a sense of moving through the period.

Both are 'correct', but they mean slightly different things.

You can see the difference if you try amending the programme title to "During the Night".

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                If we're told something happens through or throughout the day, we assume that it starts happening early in the morning and continues for most of the following twelve hours or so.

If it happens during the day, it happens at some point, but may not cover the entire period. There's also less of a sense of moving through the period.

You can see the difference if you try amending the programme title to "During the Night".
                But perhaps influenced by American usage 'thru': 'Rain Sunday thru Tuesday' means all the way through that period (though possibly not continuously, only continually ).

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, I see what you mean, and what you say about "TTN/DTN" makes sense, but if I say "I'll be at work during the day", I don't mean I'm going to pop in for a couple of minutes.

kernelbogey is probably correct with his American theory, and his point about "continuously" and "continually" is well made.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Just thought, the exponential growth in the use of "Across"

"There will be fantastic music and intruiging conversation across all Spire FM programmes on the weekend."

That sort of thing.

(please don't try spire FM on the basis of that made up quote. Well, do, if you need to contact a double glazing company in South Wiltshire.)
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      ".....on the weekend."
                      There's another dreadful Americanism. (All right, that's tautological. )

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Just thought, the exponential growth in the use of "Across" [....]
                        As also in 'Across all platforms'.
                        Eh?

Comment

• scottycelt

Around these parts people say things like 'I'll be at work today, and I'll be there 9 while 5 ...'

Obviously not at the 'till' ...

Comment

• JFLL
                            • Jan 2011

Speaking of Americanisms, I’ve noticed it’s becoming more frequent to say, e.g. ‘John Lewis’s on Oxford Street’ rather than ‘in Oxford Street’, at least in the media – I can’t say that I’ve noticed ordinary people saying it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

But JL isn't in the central reservation.

Comment

• amateur51

Just loving your differentials, jean

Comment

Working...
                                X