Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

"Please pass slow" (on the backs os horse riders)...

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      "Please pass slow" (on the backs os horse riders)...
      This seems to be a similar usage (adjective for adverb) as the motorway sign 'Don't drive tired', which always seems odd to me, when with only four extra letters ('when' between 'drive' and 'tired') it could be made perfectly grammatical. The perpetrators don't seem to take into account the possibility of causing accidents by enraging old pedants like me and diverting our attention from the road!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Water company vans round here carry the slogan 'Making Water Work', which I can't help mentally pronouncing with the emphasis on the first word, and thinking that in that case we'd do better without them altogether.
        I suppose you've got some of that 'shirker' water in your area, not like that 'striver' water found elsewhere.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
          This seems to be a similar usage (adjective for adverb) as the motorway sign 'Don't drive tired', which always seems odd to me, when with only four extra letters ('when' between 'drive' and 'tired') it could be made perfectly grammatical. The perpetrators don't seem to take into account the possibility of causing accidents by enraging old pedants like me and diverting our attention from the road!
          Exactly. And it isn't you being a pedant - just the perpetrators being incompetent.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

"Please pass slow" (on the backs of horse riders)...
            I'd be inclined to get my passenger to open the side-window as we passed and greet the rider cheerfully with the phrase "Hello, slow"
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I'd be inclined to get my passenger to open the side-window as we passed and greet the rider cheerfully with the phrase "Hello, slow"
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Er, a lot of horse riders round here have signs saying "Please pass slow and wide" !!

So rather you than me, Cali.....especially in shooting country.....
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Er, a lot of horse riders round here have signs saying "Please pass slow and wide" !!

So rather you than me, Cali.....especially in shooting country.....
                    Let me at 'em, let me at 'em!

'Wide' summons up all sorts of mental images of Thelwell-esque equestrian matrons...
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... the word "slow" in the injunction "go slow" is an adverb.

I am not quite sure why Alpie has such an animus against what he perceives as words which he doesn't think are adverbs, but which are, being used as adverbs...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Let me at 'em, let me at 'em!

'Wide' summons up all sorts of mental images of Thelwell-esque equestrian matrons...
                        Well to you maybe.......
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          I am not quite sure why Alpie has such an animus against what he perceives as words which he doesn't think are adverbs, but which are, being used as adverbs...
                          And notwithstanding the fact that the flexibility of English gives us licence to turn (m)any words into whatever our ingenuity demands:

We green the country (adjective becomes verb)
                          We down a pint (adverb/ prep. becomes a verb)
                          'Go slow' like 'Take it easy' (adjective becomes adverb)

All right, I'm not keen on 'a big ask', or 'gifting a donation', but it's what English speakers say, and it's only because they take me by surprise by not being what I say. And what does 'by surprise' mean when it's at home? And how can a verbal expression be 'at home'? It's a nonsense, I say, a nonsense ...
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

... the word "slow" in the injunction "go slow" is an adverb.

Because Alpie doesn't take the view that because people abuse the language, that's perfectly OK. Why bother learning to spell, to punctuate, to construct sentences if the LCD is going to do it anyway. It's rather like those who say it's OK to pirate CDs (oh no... I'm at it too... using a noun as a verb) because "everyone" does it. Or legalise drugs simply because people are going to take them anyway.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Because Alpie doesn't take the view that because people abuse the language, that's perfectly OK..
                              ... ah, but why do you claim these other English speakers are "abusing the language"?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

... ah, but why do you claim these other English speakers are "abusing the language"?
                                It all depends where you draw the line between sloppiness and evolution.

Comment

Working...
                                X