Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    "We'll leave it there"..........."I believe Rob has the sports news for us. Rob?"
    "We'll leave it there" = "It's a pity we couldn't get a bit more sense out of you, but there it is ... "

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
      "We'll leave it there" = "It's a pity we couldn't get a bit more sense out of you, but there it is ... "

The BBC has a pronunciation unit. Commercial radio appears to have a guide for making stations identifiable. The identifiable sound of a station extends to requirements on how to phrase regular items. The weather, for example. LBC has one required way of informing listeners of the temperature. It is horribly American and it happens hourly. Currently in London we have 8 degrees etc.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

On the News -- " Leaving the streets littered with heaps of corpses is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! "

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Or alternatively it = sorry folks we know it was stupid bringing this otherwise never properly discussed issue into discussion two minutes before the close of Toady when it needed half the programme to go into it in the depth it needed, but we're just covering our measly tracks.

Comment

• handsomefortune

...yet there's usually plenty of time for shouting about nothing during the rest of toady.

but i'll leave it there, pip pip pip, here's a garbled repetition of the weather and then the news (again).

ghastly - (especially in the morning).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              ...yet there's usually plenty of time for shouting about nothing during the rest of toady.

but i'll leave it there, pip pip pip, here's a garbled repetition of the weather and then the news (again).

ghastly - (especially in the morning).
              Indeed, handsome - what has now become the feather warcast was once a properly structured, region-by-region event broadcast at five minutes to the hour, every hour between five to six and five to nine every weekday morning on 4. A few years ago that was reduced to three minutes to the hour, and nowadays no more than a garbled half-sentance, usually interrupted by the pips.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Apparently the gas board, or whoever they are now, are " Delivering Gas Safely" in Salisbury.
                Phew.

Although they can't deliver any to the village I live in, apparently.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JFLL
                  • Jan 2011

"Militants" as used by, e.g. the BBC, for what most people call "terrorists" or "kidnappers".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

"Militants" as used by, e.g. the BBC, for what most people call "terrorists" or "kidnappers".
                    Agreed, "militants" is a very strange word.

(I just took your "name" in vain on "Stormy Weather" )
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      (I just took your "name" in vain on "Stormy Weather" )
                      You devil you -- but see 'Stormy Weather'. All's well that ends well.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Apparently the gas board, or whoever they are now, are " Delivering Gas Safely" in Salisbury.
                        Phew.
                        To the shale and hearty only, presumably...

Although they can't deliver any to the village I live in, apparently.
                        They won't deliver to anywhere near where I am.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Agreed, "militants" is a very strange word.
                          Yes, it is, isn't it? It connotes to me an aunt of the Leader of the Opposition...

Comment

• Don Petter

Apparently the gas board, or whoever they are now, are "Delivering Gas Safely" in Salisbury.
                            Water company vans round here carry the slogan 'Making Water Work', which I can't help mentally pronouncing with the emphasis on the first word, and thinking that in that case we'd do better without them altogether.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

...sleep easy...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

"Think bike" - seen increasingly at the start of long straight sections of road. Not sure what this means exactly - "expect maniac in leathers to pass/approach you at 90 mph" ?

Comment

Working...
                                X