Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    I always find it a little irritating when rock or jazz musicians are referred to as "classically trained" as if this somehow confers some legitimacy on what the writer obviously thinks is a suspect musical genre.

I usually take it to mean that they're no good in either genre.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Manchester City five

Comment

• soileduk
        • Nov 2010

Absolutely

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Manchester City five
          I always though it was Dave Clark ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

"New, improved recipe".
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

"natural"

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                He and the idiot he commentates with ...how did they ever get jobs.
                I often wonder much the same but it seems to apply to most organisations these days.

Most of these commentators are ex-footballers who didn't know the rules of the game when they played and still don't know the rules.

Such as '' the ball definitely hit his little finger so it was a cast-iron penalty'. Not necessarily, the action has to be DELIBERATE ... didn't you know?

Also the annoyingly inane 'referees are paid to GET THINGS RIGHT' ... no they are not, they are paid to make decisions based on the rules of the game.

They are human beings like the rest of us who can make occasional errors, but they can still expect to be paid just like footballers who dive and miss open goals that my granny could have tapped in while blindfolded ... '

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                  I often wonder much the same but it seems to apply to most organisations these days.

Most of these commentators are ex-footballers who didn't know the rules of the game when they played and still don't know the rules.

Such as '' the ball definitely hit his little finger so it was a cast-iron penalty'. Not necessarily, the action has to be DELIBERATE ... didn't you know?

Also the annoyingly inane 'referees are paid to GET THINGS RIGHT' ... no they are not, they are paid to make decisions based on the rules of the game.

They are human beings like the rest of us who can make occasional errors, but they can still expect to be paid just like footballers who dive and miss open goals that my granny could have tapped in while blindfolded ... '
                  Feel better now ?!

Good rant, TBF.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Feel better now ?!

Good rant, TBF.
                    Well. it was you, yourself, who instigated and encouraged the rant, TBF ...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Serving suggestion.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        Er, wait abit - I thought that a "gated community" was one comprising people who had been implicated in scandals of one kind or another, real or imagined, true or false. Anyway, I'm quite sure that most members of such a community would be perfectly able to "get out" both by snapping the locks and by using the internet as and when they so chose...
                        Gated communities are 'communities' - in reality housing estates - of wealthy/rich people who want to be exclusive & keep the hoi-polloi out, hence access being restricted by locked gates. They're up-market gettos.

Comment

• Boilk
                          • Dec 2010

"With regards to"

Aaaaaghhh!! Regards with an 's' are something you send at the end of a letter.

It's either "with regard to", or as regards, which is probably a corruption of "regarding".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                            "With regards to"

Aaaaaghhh!! Regards with an 's' are something you send at the end of a letter.

It's either "with regard to", or as regards, which is probably a corruption of "regarding".

One of my bugbears too, Boilk!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Every sodding pub website has a chef who's "passionate" about "sourcing" the best local produce.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                                Well. it was you, yourself, who instigated and encouraged the rant, TBF ...
                                me , myself and I ? I would never do such a thing on the FoR 3 forum. Certainly not !
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X