Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Perverse isn't it? - you hate yourself as you're coining it
    'coining it' ... especially when it is used incorrectly ... french frank could not really be credited with 'coining' the term, merely cunningly adapting it to describe quite separate events?

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Thde gates should definitely be locked - with the 'community' on the inside unable to get out.
      Er, wait abit - I thought that a "gated community" was one comprising people who had been implicated in scandals of one kind or another, real or imagined, true or false. Anyway, I'm quite sure that most members of such a community would be perfectly able to "get out" both by snapping the locks and by using the internet as and when they so chose...

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
        Had a meeting next door. Now, this is a new one on me.

"Your hospital can purchase this scanner, with all the Bells and whistles.

Or they can have this one. With all the Bells and Whistles."

You couldn't make it up!

3VS
        You can see here http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/b...-whistles.html that that expression is several decades old. It was certainly current during most of my engineering career, and was generally used in connection with test gear endowed with advanced features.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          You can see here http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/b...-whistles.html that that expression is several decades old. It was certainly current during most of my engineering career, and was generally used in connection with test gear endowed with advanced features.
          Quite. I wonder if it started here.

Does anyone else remember this from the fifties?

Edit: Or conversely, did the expression gave rise to the programme?

Comment

• scottycelt

Maybe in a similar category to 'all singing and dancing' which I've often seen used to describe new Linux operating systems.

I'd have much preferred if some had simply concentrated on 'doing the day job' properly instead ...

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              Maybe in a similar category to 'all singing and dancing' which I've often seen used to describe new Linux operating systems.
              Whilst I accept that argument in principle, at least in the context you mention, I'm not so sure that it would be likely to go down especially well with professional dancers who sing or professional singers who dance - which obliquely reminds me - I seem to recall that it was Stravinsky who said something along the lines of "if music doesn't sing or dance or at least produce a semblance of such, what else is it expected to do?" (although I can't track down the precise source of this now). Mind you, even Nietszche said that "we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once", a notion that strikes me as being at least as bizarre and improbable as is the fact that it appears to have passed Sir Bryce Forsooth by...
              Last edited by ahinton; 15-11-12, 14:14.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                I'd have much preferred if some had simply concentrated on 'doing the day job' properly instead ...
                Careful, scotty - you might risk invoking the ire of S Grew here...

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Here are two pieces of management newspeak which I've just read:

embedment, and the verb "to baseline".

Has anyone any ideas? I haven't a clue.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

Yes, I think so; a judicious amount of the first is what's deemed necessary in order successfully to climb the greasy career pole and the second has two quite distinct connotations, the first being a plea from orchestral double bass players for the rest of the orchestra to take due notice of what they're playing and the second an exhortation in Russian to search for the Vaseline (the sounds for the Cyrillic equivalent of "b" and "v" being to some degree interchangeable)....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

Embedment was used with ironic ineluctability to describe that young woman's alleged relationship with two top US military figures while she was "embedded" in various military postings.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Has anyone mentioned "with respect", meaning the exact opposite, when rersponding to an argument?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Has anyone mentioned "with respect", meaning the exact opposite, when rersponding to an argument?
                          I have actually - with all due disrespects!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Embedment was used with ironic ineluctability to describe that young woman's alleged relationship with two top US military figures while she was "embedded" in various military postings.
                            Well, that's just one example of what I had earlier implied as occurring on a considerably larger scale all over the workplace...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I have actually - with all due disrespects!

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                Yes, I think so; a judicious amount of the first is what's deemed necessary in order successfully to climb the greasy career pole and the second has two quite distinct connotations, the first being a plea from orchestral double bass players for the rest of the orchestra to take due notice of what they're playing and the second an exhortation in Russian to search for the Vaseline (the sounds for the Cyrillic equivalent of "b" and "v" being to some degree interchangeable)....
                                Thank you ahinton and S_A for your very helpful responses. I am sure that between you you are correct.

It's just occurred to me to that not only are the sounds for the Cyrillic equivalent of "b" and "v" (being) to some degree interchangeable but they are next to each other on the keyboard. Could it be a simple typo? In the context "vaseline" makes as much sense as "baseline".

Comment

Working...
                                X