Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    We need to workshop this. I can shoe-horn a window in my diary next Thursday.
    Alexi Sale had the right idea about "workshops"

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      The reporter's gender is irrelevant, surely

Unless you're making a subtle point, scotty
      You should know me by now, amsey ... firm attention to detail whilst blissfully unaware of others' paranoiac political correctness.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Repeat myself ?
        Who me ?
        Never .........
        I'm sure no one could accuse you of being a minimalist.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
          You should know me by now, amsey ... firm attention to detail whilst blissfully unaware of others' paranoiac political correctness.
          According to wiki: "Paranoia [ˌpærəˈnɔɪ.ə] (adjective: paranoid [ˈpærə.nɔɪd]) is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion."

I think the existence of your entrenched sexism is well-established for all to read on this Board and those who point it out to you are neither irrational nor deluded

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            We need to workshop this. I can shoe-horn a window in my diary next Thursday.
            That suits me, provided it's for a working breakfast. I'll bring my overalls and toolkit. While we're at it there's something I think we should deep dive.

Yes, it's a new one on me too. Heard it at work yesterday, and asked for a construe. Apparently it means to explore a topic in great detail, or depth.

It frightens me to death to think that people who earn probably six times as much as me are coming up with tripe like that.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

On R4 earlier this evening I heard an example of history being re-written. I've heard it before, and it's becoming more common.

Reference was made to events during WW2 in "Nazi occupied France". It seems that the allies didn't fight Germany during the war, but the Nazis. I've heard the recording of the egregious N. Chamberlain many times, and he definitely said "Britain is at war with Germany". Closer to home, it was Germany my father joined the RN to fight.

Yes, the Nazis were the ruling party, but we don't (yet at any rate) say that the Conservatives fought Argentina in 1982, or that the Republicans and the Labour party invaded Iraq in 2003.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Tinny words.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

9/11.

It's really tomorrow.

Comment

• Mandryka

'Going forward'

'Give me a ball-park'

'Head honcho'

'It's not rocket science'

'You're/he's just liike Victor Meldrew'

'I'm not being funny, but...'

'Partner'

'Gay'

'Rumpy-pumpy'

'See the match last night?'

Comment

• scottycelt

According to wiki: "Paranoia [ˌpærəˈnɔɪ.ə] (adjective: paranoid [ˈpærə.nɔɪd]) is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion."

I think the existence of your entrenched sexism is well-established for all to read on this Board and those who point it out to you are neither irrational nor deluded
                      Come, come amsey ... if to simply use the term 'female reporter' is to be deemed 'sexist' well I suppose I'll have to plead guilty.

By the same token your constant and mostly totally irrelevant references to 'gay men' on this forum could well fall into a much more blatantly overt 'sexist' category ... ?

Comment

• amateur51

Come, come amsey ... if to simply use the term 'female reporter' is to be deemed 'sexist' well I suppose I'll have to plead guilty.

By the same token your constant and mostly totally irrelevant references to 'gay men' on this forum could well fall into a much more blatantly overt 'sexist' category ... ?
                        The reporter's gender in your example is irrelevant, you're just highlighting an amusing gaffe so why mention that the reporter's a woman, scotty?

I don't think I've ever referred to 'gay men' unless it's been pertinent and how pray might it be deemed sexist?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          9/11.

It's really tomorrow.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Come, come amsey ... if to simply use the term 'female reporter' is to be deemed 'sexist'
                            It wouldn't be if you referred to 'male reporters' as well.

Comment

• scottycelt

The reporter's gender in your example is irrelevant, you're just highlighting an amusing gaffe so why mention that the reporter's a woman, scotty?

I don't think I've ever referred to 'gay men' unless it's been pertinent and how pray might it be deemed sexist?
                              Tell you what, amsey, let's come to a gentleman/woman's agreement ... I promise never to refer to anyone's gender or any matters of sex on this forum if you promise to do the same!

Deal?

Comment

• scottycelt

'Tell you what' ...

Comment

Working...
                                X