Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by anorak View Post
    I'm sitting there and they're like saying
    A general point of interest which I've noticed is that often when people want to report what someone has said they say: And he's like, OMG what are you like? And I'm like, Waddya mean, what am I like? Bi-zarre.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• anorak
      • Apr 2024

So, this is summin you might like yeah?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by anorak View Post
        So, this is summin you might like yeah?
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_b1Y-Rl_Uo
        So this is me to him yeah.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

You're having me in stitches here, innit? Or will Julie Burchill come along and call us middle-class snobs for making fun of honest working-class speech?

Dialogue I actually overheard in Crewe town centre (when there was a town centre there; don't ask) :

Young woman with push-chair to older woman just arriving ; 'Where've ya bin?'

'Well, I went to M&S and then I had to go to the... '

'A did'n ask ya that, I said where've ya bin?'

'Well, I've been to the market and...'

'A don' wanna know; A said where've ya bin?'

By now we realised she didn't mean 'where have you been?' but ' Are you not ashamed of having kept me waiting?'

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

"Berjorn [sic] says it's a stupid name {ABBA]. I think Stockholm Syndrome would be a fantastic name" - Jeremy Vine on his thick baby boomers targeted show this morning.

Comment

• Lordgeous
              • Dec 2012

Fully costed, fully funded.... broke the economy...... etc etc etc....
              Last edited by Lordgeous; 28-06-24, 20:49.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                Fully costed, fully funded.... broke the economy...... eetc etc etc....
                "Surrender" - don't "surrender" to Starmer's immigration policies, don't "surrender" to Labour's tax increases, Sunak tells us. Exaggerated language designed to stir up over-reactions to arguably rational policies - over which we can discuss and debate sensibly. Fat chance!

Surrender should be reserved for situations such as Ukraine's in relation to Putin's threat to its sovereignty if it is not to become yet another once useful and now devalued term.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

'Living your best life'...ugh!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Just because "everybody is talking about it" does not automatically make whatever it is that "everybody is talking about" (which in any case they probably mostly aren't) "a good thing". This gets said more and more on the "meedja", and I am getting heartily fed up with it. When is somebody - a presenter, interviewer, another person on the panel - just going to say "Stop right where you are! - this very idea is ludicrous and a total non-sequitur"?

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Just because "everybody is talking about it" does not automatically make whatever it is that "everybody is talking about" (which in any case they probably mostly aren't) "a good thing". This gets said more and more on the "meedja", and I am getting heartily fed up with it. When is somebody - a presenter, interviewer, another person on the panel - just going to say "Stop right where you are! - this very idea is ludicrous and a total non-sequitur"?

In medialand I thought that "everyone talking about it" is a good thing. There ain't nothing to fill the vacuous space otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X