Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... not to be confused with the Gloucestershire village of Snowshill (and the lovely Snowshill Manor) - pronounced ... Snozzle

Mmm,,I always understood it was "Snowzle" but accents do vary.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... there are many such. I like Saint Epney, Saint Evenage, the new town built on the minster of St Ur - and of course the ford of St Rat. We currently don't talk about the town renamed in the honour of St Alin...
      Lovely.

Not forgetting of course St Ockwell (originally St Ock's Well so I'm led to believe), St Rand or St Aine's.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

A particularly loathsome locution of recent provenance being that of ending a statement of fact in the interrogative?

A recent example on social media: "I'm not at all sure what the pine marten is doing or eating?"

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          A particularly loathsome locution of recent provenance....
          Agreed - but, this is common in US English e.g. You're going out like that? I associate this form with 'immigrant' usage, possibly Yiddish in origin - but would welcome correction.

Possibly also related to upspeak? (See what I did there?)

(So you find that loathsome? )

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Agreed - but, this is common in US English e.g. You're going out like that? I associate this form with 'immigrant' usage, possibly Yiddish in origin - but would welcome correction.

I don't think it's quite the same?

(See what I did just then? )

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I don't think it's quite the same?
              The Wiki article refers to research suggesting its usage may relate to unconscious power dynamics.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

That's not the same?

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

I've always thought 'upspeak' came from people who had learnt English by watching Australian soaps in the late 20th century. I've heard it referred to also as 'the Australasian interrogative'. It's often used by people who use what I call 21st -century pronunciation:

'Gid, Kick , and Lik' instead of 'Good, cook, and book'. Every Friday Anita Rani says 'gid morning' to her listeners on 'Woman's Hour'.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Not setting me on edge perhaps, but I'm fascinated by the rise of "the counterfactual". Useful expression really until the politicians caught the bug..... Liz Truss used it in her recent Self-Justification Tour of The Media........

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Not setting me on edge perhaps, but I'm fascinated by the rise of "the counterfactual". Useful expression really until the politicians caught the bug..... Liz Truss used it in her recent Self-Justification Tour of The Media........
                      In Truss' case she wouldn't recognise any fact that was counter to her own philosophy even if it jumped out and bit her!
                      So much for the Oxford PPE course.

Comment

• letterreader202
                        • Oct 2021

Re St Epney etc.
                        Perth (where St Johnstone F.C. are based) is known historically as St John's Toun. The principal (oldest?) church (of the Church of Scotland) in Perth is St John's Kirk.

Comment

• letterreader202
                          • Oct 2021

I see from digging through this forum that "curated" was identified some years ago as a verbal annoyance. I would like to report that it is still going strong - heard this morning during the Breakfast programme in a trailer for some for some forthcoming event.
                          My current bugbear is actually more of a newspaper phenomenon: the reinvention of "trove" as a noun. According to my sources, it has only one common use - in the phrase "treasure trove" where it comes from the old French word meaning "found" (similar to the past participle of modern French trouver).
                          The latest "trove" to come on the scene is the large collection of American secret documents.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by letterreader202 View Post
                            My current bugbear is actually more of a newspaper phenomenon: the reinvention of "trove" as a noun. According to my sources, it has only one common use - in the phrase "treasure trove" where it comes from the old French word meaning "found" (similar to the past participle of modern French trouver).
                            The latest "trove" to come on the scene is the large collection of American secret documents.
                            I'd noticed 'troves' popping up all over the place too. It does seem to be a simple abbreviaion of treasure-trove, possibly invented by Kipling since the first two examples quoted by the OED were from him; a third quote is roughly contemporary. Thereafter troves lie buried until the late 20th c. when they are dug up a couple of times in American publications. The OED article was updated in 2022 and seemingly found nothing then from this veritable trove of new examples.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

...."trove" is fine....walk on ....
                              bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                                ...."trove" is fine....walk on ....
                                ... tho' some prefer toves. Slithy or otherwise

Comment

Working...
                                X