Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Have to admit I can never decide whether Grinnich or Grennich is right.

Oh and while we're on the topic of London place names, I always thought Marylebone was pronounced Marry le Bone, but most people seem to pronounce it Marly Bone - and Wiki concurs!
    I've never heard it pronounced the Wiki way.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Another one is “Manchister”.
      Hampstid, Hemel Hempstid are in OED

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        That old London favourite: Wessminister.
        Same as Chrismas, posman etc. Middle consonant of three disappears.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Same as Chrismas, posman etc. Middle consonant of three disappears.
          It's common practice among us lot - just one of a number of mispronunciations that never got corrected when I had elocution lessons at the age of 12 for the part of Pride in Dr Faustus - all 4 lines. I was forced to repeat "I am Pride" in the manner of delivery of Laurence Olivier in Richard III until I got it just right.

Another one my religious cousin always picks me up on is "Chrischun", which I would never have noticed had she not pointed it out.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

I was 'Envy' in Faustus.

While we're on mispronunciations I particularly dislike 'mischeevious'.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Hampstid, Hemel Hempstid are in OED
              The lady who does the announcements on the Northern Line says 'Highgit'.

Comment

• burning dog
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Have to admit I can never decide whether Grinnich or Grennich is right.

Oh and while we're on the topic of London place names, I always thought Marylebone was pronounced Marry le Bone, but most people seem to pronounce it Marly Bone - and Wiki concurs!
                The locals always called it Marry le Bone (including the announcer on London Underground) or Marra-Bon if they were "common". However, Marly bone seems to be popular nowadays.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I think local pronunciations of placenames are just that: they aren't 'right' or 'wrong'. Even in the case of the Bristolian pronunciation of the memorials to John Cabot (as in the Cabot Tower or Cabot House) which was always firmly Cabbo. Also Cabot ward (but now pronounced either Central ward or Hotwells and Harbourside ward). It took incomers to explain to us that Cabot was not a name of French origin but Italian Caboto, so we should say Cabbut. So some people say Cabbo and others say Cabbut.

Greenwich Village in New York is - invariably - Grennich Village and there's a YouTube video to prove it.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I think local pronunciations of placenames are just that: they aren't 'right' or 'wrong'.
                    Portsmuff.
                    S'uthampton.

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

An American asked my Clapham based friend the way to "Saint Wreatham" (Streatham)

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                        An American asked my Clapham based friend the way to "Saint Wreatham" (Streatham)
                        ... there are many such. I like Saint Epney, Saint Evenage, the new town built on the minster of St Ur - and of course the ford of St Rat. We currently don't talk about the town renamed in the honour of St Alin...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                          A young local scout once described his group as the One Saint Nailsea. Saint Wreatham and Saint Nailsea not to be found in any any Book of Saints. Nor Saint Johnstone. (Nor the ones that vints added)
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... there are many such. I like Saint Epney, Saint Evenage, the new town built on the minster of St Ur - and of course the ford of St Rat. We currently don't talk about the town renamed in the honour of St Alin...
                            It works both ways In Cornwall eg St Austell pronounced Snozzle!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              It works both ways In Cornwall eg St Austell pronounced Snozzle!
                              ... not to be confused with the Gloucestershire village of Snowshill (and the lovely Snowshill Manor) - pronounced ... Snozzle

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

...and talking of Cornwall (which was home to many little known 'saints', there is he church of St Symphorian. Local pronunciation of his name through the ages has resulted in he village being called Veryan. Lovely place, incidentally.

Comment

Working...
                                X