Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Have you tried the sites I mentioned? Stick with them for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    Or study isobarics and the jet stream - two of the best weather forecasters around....

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I know forecasting is difficult if not impossible to perfect. I wouldn't mind if they admitted this . But I've heard them boast about how accurate they are when clearly they aren't.
      Indeed, but haven't you noted how they cover themselves by predicting entirely different weather for a particular day (eg Friday) across the preceding few days? On that basis, given on Monday they said it would be fine, Tuesday it would be wet, Wednesday windy, Thursday snowing, they are bound to have got it right at some point!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Ah, the great game of "doubting the accuracy of the weather forecasters"....

So wonderful to see these Fine Olde English Traditions thriving!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Yes, that's why its best to use the BBC or Met Office websites which allow you to view the satellite-photo-derived maps and forecasts in real time, regionally and nationally, advancing them by 3-hourly intervals if you wish. You can zoom in and out to see the local or larger patterns including the isobarics.
          You can also see the latest 3-hourly reports from your local weather station of temp., pressure, visibility, precipitation etc. Very useful and in my weather-and-wildlife-obesessed experience, very accurate too.
          I use the netweather rain radar and looking out of the window to the South west to work out the weather in the next two hours unless there’s a high pressure (very high 1032 at the moment ) in which case it’s all fairly static. The BBC forecasts are now supplied by meteo and not the Met office. One reason was the former did 13 day forecasts something the Met shy away from understandably. The problem where I live is 5 minutes of rain without the right gear can mean a compete soaking.
          A lot of film crews used to use dark sky but I gather that been subsumed into Apple weather - wouldn’t mind knowing how accurate people find it.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I see the Beeb's gone one step further than simply a curated concert - tonight we have a "carefully curated concert". Is it sponsored by M&S perchance? Or does it mean the BBCS will be on their best singing behaviour.
            Care, whether curated or not, was missing when this was put up for public viewing
            The George Enescu International Festival: Bach's Golberg Variations
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001h695 The mistake appears twice.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              I see the Beeb's gone one step further than simply a curated concert - tonight we have a "carefully curated concert". Is it sponsored by M&S perchance? Or does it mean the BBCS will be on their best singing behaviour.
              Care, whether curated or not, was missing when this was put up for public viewing https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001h695 The mistake appears twice.
              I have not tuned in to listen. Are they playing pizzicato or col legno?

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Hair of horse from what I heard - and it certainly made the most of a chromatic variation towards the end. However you could do me a service by explaining your comment; I understand what the terms mean but not the relevance - unless it's to do with not being keyboard?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Hair of horse from what I heard - and it certainly made the most of a chromatic variation towards the end. However you could do me a service by explaining your comment; I understand what the terms mean but not the relevance - unless it's to do with not being keyboard?
                  Indeed, whether the strings are plucked or struck.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    I use the netweather rain radar and looking out of the window to the South west to work out the weather in the next two hours unless there’s a high pressure (very high 1032 at the moment ) in which case it’s all fairly static. The BBC forecasts are now supplied by meteo and not the Met office. One reason was the former did 13 day forecasts something the Met shy away from understandably. The problem where I live is 5 minutes of rain without the right gear can mean a compete soaking.
                    A lot of film crews used to use dark sky but I gather that been subsumed into Apple weather - wouldn’t mind knowing how accurate people find it.
                    I am well aware that they are separately derived, of course. For a few years now.
                    The Met Office do provide long range (and always did for years back), if you want them....scroll down.....
                    Met Office weather forecasts for the UK. World leading weather services for the public.

Lots of other good stuff here, like WOW...

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/?_gl=1*...MjU3Ny4wLjAuMA..

If netweather or looking aht yer winder isn't accurate enough, try the local weather station reports on the BBC site. Mine is the Coastaguard, around 2 miles away; rarely ever wrong. I like to recall, and imagine, the seaview out to the horizon there.

Keen birder, amateur naturalist all my life, obsessive forecast-follower since I got excited in my late teens listening to the Shipping Forecast and Inshore Waters forecast just after Midnight in the early autumn (they were pretty accurate even back then - 70s/80s), hoping for Westerly gales to bring the seabirds closer to the coast.....
                    And (now) a garden bird curator , I check the Met and BBC 3-hourly updates each day and find them very reliable. Of course you get some hourly variation about the arrival of rapidly changing weather will arrive, but that's Nature for you - and it is always clear from the satellite maps (and commentary) why this happens.
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-01-23, 02:25.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      Certain weather forecasters who pronounce it "Eng-lind" , "Scot-lind" and "Ire-lind"

OK, I know there are more important things to get annoyed about, but...
                      Another one is “Manchister”.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Another one is “Manchister”.
                        Have to admit I can never decide whether Grinnich or Grennich is right.

Oh and while we're on the topic of London place names, I always thought Marylebone was pronounced Marry le Bone, but most people seem to pronounce it Marly Bone - and Wiki concurs!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          -ich or -idge?

Comment

• Belgrove
                            • Nov 2010

Oh and while we're on the topic of London place names, I always thought Marylebone was pronounced Marry le Bone, but most people seem to pronounce it Marly Bone - and Wiki concurs!
                            But not at Lord’s.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Agreed on both counts, S_A: it’s Marry-lee-bone to me (and I cycle through it regularly so I should know ) and I’ve never known if it’s Grin or Gren.

I think I’m in the majority pronouncing Holborn as ‘Ho-bun’ but it took some years to learn that Lamb’s Conduit Street in fact involves a Cun-dit…

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              -ich or -idge?
                              Good point!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

That old London favourite: Wessminister.

Comment

Working...
                                X