Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I just heard on the (shared) Radio3 news 'back in 2018'. 'Back in...' seems to appear increasingly in radio speech - as though we are incapable of recognising that a date refers to a time in the past. I can just about accept it if the reference is to the nineteenth or earlier centuries... but two years ago? It is not only unnecessary, but patronising too.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I just heard on the (shared) Radio3 news 'back in 2018'. 'Back in...' seems to appear increasingly in radio speech - as though we are incapable of recognising that a date refers to a time in the past. I can just about accept it if the reference is to the nineteenth or earlier centuries... but two years ago? It is not only unnecessary, but patronising too.
      Maybe 2020 and Covid makes anything before seem a long long time ago. Back in 2018 we did not have the shared news we now have. Unfortunately this is based on the lower standard of reading on R2. On the examples of 8.00am yesterday and today I suggest some coaching on delivery would not go amiss! It appears that not only do Radio 2 play awful music but standards have slipped compared to before I stopped listening and Fran Godfrey, Fenella Fudge and Deadly Dedicoat read the news.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Maybe 2020 and Covid makes anything before seem a long long time ago.
        There is that, I suppose, Cloughie: I could do without the headlines and the Vox Pops in a five minute bulletin, too. But the 'back in' is more pervasive. Just as I was moving rooms, I half-heard Martin Handley say 'back in...' in relation to, I think, a performance of a Maxwell Davies piece - aah, so long ago....

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

"Back in the day" has been around for some time (Urban Dictionary has an entry from 2001) so, coupled with the perception skew mentioned by cloughie, it's perhaps not that surprising that a contracted form crops up in a rather recent time frame.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            "Back in the day" has been around for some time (Urban Dictionary has an entry from 2001) so, coupled with the perception skew mentioned by cloughie, it's perhaps not that surprising that a contracted form crops up in a rather recent time frame.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              I think that's a slightly different usage, Oddie - a vague harking back wthout a date - from the linguistic trick of making something needlessly over-historic.

But...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

For anyone with an attention span of only 15 minutes at best, which seems to be the audience that the BBC is catering for much of the time, anything longer ago than that is presumably way back in prehistory!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I think that's a slightly different usage, Oddie - a vague harking back wthout a date - from the linguistic trick of making something needlessly over-historic.

But...
                  You're right but as is often the way phrases heard get (mis)used as suits folks - but not necessarily as suits those of us who have used it in its original form...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

the (shared) Radio3 news
                    Calculated to set my teeth on edge whatever the content, and avoided at all costs.

Basically any programme scheduled to end on the hour has to be promptly switched off after the final chord of whatever, to avoid trailers, news &c.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

"From the get-go"

I heard actress Kelly MacDonald (I think it was) use this ridiculous expression on the Marred [sic] Show this morning.

When was "from the beginning" not good enough!???

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        "From the get-go"

I heard actress Kelly MacDonald (I think it was) use this ridiculous expression on the Marred [sic] Show this morning.

Back in the day ?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Back in the day ?

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            "From the get-go"

Yes it's annoying, and possibly a compression of "(Get) ready, get set, go!" from the other side of the Pond.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Last night, the BBC's Simon Jack reported that the proposed European Super League was 'lawyered up', and this morning I read that Covid has resulted in Netflix having a 'lighter content slate' (= fewer new productions).

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

'Content' is now in vogue with younger folk, and appears to mean any thing available from an onine source - video, music, photos etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X