Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    It's merely lifelong experience that tells me that if something is 'popular' I probably shan't like it. Not disdain for the 'popular', just my weird tastes I don't take offence that no one ever shares my enthusiasms
    ... o, I've always happily identified with the Pharisee in Luke -

"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are ... "

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are ... "
      As long as the corollary is not 'that I am better than others', M. vinteuil I believe that is what people would, understandably, find annoying. Merely being uninterested in football or alternative pop music is bad enough …

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Triforium
        • Nov 2010

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Presumably that's exactly why the BBC avoids using it. It's merely lifelong experience that tells me that if something is 'popular' I probably shan't like it. Not disdain for the 'popular', just my weird tastes I don't take offence that no one ever shares my enthusiasms
          No one?

Anyway, You might not enjoy it all that much , but you might usefully listen to Jumping Someone Else’s Train , by The Cure.It won’t take you long. Pop music, it is....though not all that popular at the time.....
          ( I prefer the unpopular sort , jn general)
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Initialising.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              No one?
              No one here, anyway

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Anyway, You might not enjoy it all that much , but you might usefully listen to Jumping Someone Else’s Train , by The Cure.It won’t take you long. Pop music, it is....though not all that popular at the time.....
              ( I prefer the unpopular sort , jn general)
              <sigh> Yes, I will listen. I will listen now. I once listened to Kate Bush (I think it was Kate Bush) and earlier today I crept away quietly and listened to Eliane Radigue's Trilogie de la Mort or part of it (I used the slider after about ten minutes to sample various bits).

'Popular' music is often a misnomer in that it often isn't/wasn't very 'popular' in having tens of millions of enthusiasts. Like 'classical music' being used for (very good) film music.

Later: I listened to two videos. This one had the words …
              Last edited by french frank; 12-02-21, 20:22.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

I'm VERY, VERY fed up with people saying 'REsearch instead of reSEARCH. What can I do?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                  I'm VERY, VERY fed up with people saying 'REsearch instead of reSEARCH. What can I do?
                  Emigrate to US and buy their language ap??
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

While Cambridge UP gives accent on the second syllable in both US and British English, Macmillan offers both stress on the first syllable and on the second as valid alternatives. Then there's Oxford: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ish/research_1

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      While Cambridge UP gives accent on the second syllable in both US and British English, Macmillan offers both stress on the first syllable and on the second as valid alternatives. Then there's Oxford: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ish/research_1
                      I use both versions - indiscriminate , me. It does suggest that there wasn't a parental edict about it as such things have tended to stick, and both parents and a grandparent were involved in research so the word would have been in use.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

While Cambridge UP gives accent on the second syllable in both US and British English, Macmillan offers both stress on the first syllable and on the second as valid alternatives.
                        Validity indicating 1) what people regularly say and recording 2) the differences as being 'valid', 'rare', 'colloquial'. It isn't about what is logical, rational or correct, but what is said/heard. OED records both pronunciations without comment.

My contribution (which it appears I did not post earlier, as I thought I had) as in letter from BT this morning:

"Your prices are changing soon" where 'changing' means 'increasing' … A not infrequent usage.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Validity indicating 1) what people regularly say and recording 2) the differences as being 'valid', 'rare', 'colloquial'. It isn't about what is logical, rational or correct, but what is said/heard. OED records both pronunciations without comment.

My contribution (which it appears I did not post earlier, as I thought I had) as in letter from BT this morning:

"Your prices are changing soon" where 'changing' means 'increasing' … A not infrequent usage.
                          Hh, heh. That reminds me of when a company I worked for was taken over by another. Consequent upon this was an 'adjustment' in prices. For once, the new prices were between the previous ones used by each of the two companies. I chose to produce a poster announcing "harmonisation" of the prices. . The MD was full of congratulations re the finesse.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

The MD was full of congratulations re the finesse.
                            Indeed, it brings a smile to the face - something to look forward to with pleasure

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... in the same way that those seeking to increase the possibilities of 'social mobility' always seem to imply that the mobility will predominantly be upwards...

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Join the Canute school of pronunciation ?

I'll carry on pronouncing it as you do, but , you know, there is much else to concern ourselves with.

Incidentally, I didn't know till recently that Bognor and Southampton both claim the famous tide incident.

Comment

Working...
                                X