Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... 'literally' as an intensifier (rather than the antonym to 'figuratively') has been regularly used by writers at least as far back as Pope. It's only since the 20th century that some people have found it objectionable.

On the other hand, if we all wrote like Pope, how odd would that be?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      In his inauguration speech Mr Biden referred to democracy depending "on we the people". Fair enough, albeit a statement of the obvious, but neither he nor his speech writers seem to care about prepositions being followed by an inflected pronoun.
      Grammatically is should be "on us, the people,"

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Grammatically is should be "on us, the people,"
        It depends on whether he meant 'democracy depends on us, you and me', or 'democracy depends on the Constitution ("We the People of the United States … do ordain and establish this Constitution") '.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Agree with the complaint... I was surprised the other day to hear the otherwise articulate Anna Tilbrook on Inside Music say that in the Gloria of the B Minor Mass, the upward scales of the trumpets “literally lift you”

A novel trick
          Usually amusing rather than objectionable IMO; I got a laugh out of a golf commentary - here comes Jack down the sixth, literally burning up the turf.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

This usage is occurring more frequently, and while I realise that 'world-beating' has become a government mantra, and although one meaning of surpassed can be "exceeded" it's usually meant in a positive fashion, so in this context I really don't think it is the right word. This example is from a Beeb news summary, but it is the phrasing the PM used. He is supposed to be good with words and this was a prepared speech.
            the number of people who have died with Covid-19 in the UK has surpassed 100,000
            As an aside the only reason I was looking on the Beeb site was to find a transcript of the PM's latest vocalising to confirm something that the Guardian reported he said. The Beeb makes no mention and the rolling text below the relevant clip (watched with the sound off and with the picture shifted up so I couldn't see the blob) didn't show it either. So for now I'll just assume, since it is perfectly believable, that this is a correct version
            Boris Johnson has insisted his government “did everything we could” to limit coronavirus deaths
            as reported in the Guardian.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              This usage is occurring more frequently, and while I realise that 'world-beating' has become a government mantra, and although one meaning of surpassed can be "exceeded" it's usually meant in a positive fashion, so in this context I really don't think it is the right word.
              I think you're right because the OED definition that fits most closely is: To exceed (a specified measure, as weight, speed, etc.). rare.

It only has two examples, one in 1591 and another in 1898. Perhaps you should submit it to the OED for consideration as a third example in 2021?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

'We're on it'.
                Just seen in tv ad for Direct Line.

It seems to me ok as a response - say, to a request - but in this generalised usage, it makes no sense to me.
                Last edited by kernelbogey; 03-02-21, 10:12.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I know I've said this before but it's happened again. Whatever happened to the word 'popular'? The BBC is always on about our 'much-loved programmes', 'our much-loved presenters', now the Internet Archive contacts me about 'Our Most-Loved Collections'. Most popular, dammit, most popular!

(I know, I know, 'popular' sounds more like cynical marketing, 'much-loved' emphasises what a life-enhancing service we're giving you.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Wasn't the last president of the USA popular?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Not merely popular but a populist. Perhaps the association is one reason for the avoidance of "popular" by the Beeb.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Yes. Same thing, right word. It only means followed by a lot of people. Better than 'our much-loved ex-president' anyway.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Not merely popular but a populist. Perhaps the association is one reason for the avoidance of "popular" by the Beeb.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

There was a Ford Popular once, when I was a youngster. It had two doors. And the bigger Ford Prefect, with its four doors - was there to keep order!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

@FF

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              ... Most popular, dammit, most popular!
                              ... perhaps you are not aware that when an estate agent calls a street or an area 'popular' - they mean an area where people like you and me would not be very much at home...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... perhaps you are not aware that when an estate agent calls a street or an area 'popular' - they mean an area where people like you and me would not be very much at home...

Presumably that's exactly why the BBC avoids using it. It's merely lifelong experience that tells me that if something is 'popular' I probably shan't like it. Not disdain for the 'popular', just my weird tastes I don't take offence that no one ever shares my enthusiasms

Comment

Working...
                                X