Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    ...[/I]which you appear to have overlooked....
    Stephen disappeared for some time - isn't it great to have him back with us once more!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Is any "tape" actually involved?
      If it was from one of our police interrogations it would once have been on cassette - "For the purposes of the tape, the suspect has just yawned" - but I imagine the US fuzz have now introduced more advanced technology for this purpose.

Comment

• StephenMcK
        • Jan 2020

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Is any "tape" actually involved?
        Somewhere, yes, but the report was referencing the content rather than the physical thing.

Comment

• StephenMcK
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Stephen disappeared for some time - isn't it great to have him back with us once more!
          At your service. I see from The Grauniad where I am registered I am self-described as follows:

Immigrant and human evangelist.

Interests: Politics, pedantry and pet peeves.

To which I should add:

'Worrying about the things other people don't worry about since 1962.'
          Last edited by StephenMcK; 25-01-20, 20:26.

Comment

• StephenMcK
            • Jan 2020

If it was from one of our police interrogations it would once have been on cassette - "For the purposes of the tape, the suspect has just yawned" - but I imagine the US fuzz have now introduced more advanced technology for this purpose.
            Yes, I think now in America it goes something like ... [BANG] .. [BANG BANG] .. [BANG] ... "Armed police. STOP! ................ For the purposes of the recording - subject failed to respond. Interview ... and, er subject, terminated at 12.00 hrs]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
              Yes, I think now in America it goes something like ... [BANG] .. [BANG BANG] .. [BANG] ... "Armed police. STOP! ................ For the purposes of the recording - subject failed to respond. Interview ... and, er subject, terminated at 12.00 hrs]
              As the saying goes: shoot first, ask questions afterwards.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Extract from our local council's welcome for the revised application to build a Wetherspoons on the site of a former GP surgery:
                Councillors have asked for trees to be re-provided on the site

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Extract from our local council's welcome for the revised application to build a Wetherspoons on the site of a former GP surgery:
                  Councillors have asked for trees to be re-provided on the site
                  A group of words best left in Europe:

REPROVIDE (Reaching Everyone Programme of Research On Violence in diverse Domestic Environments)

Comment

• Oakapple

Tummy and poo.

I took part in the bowel cancer screening recently that everyone 60 and over can do over the post. The letter I got back used those words, as did a recent television advert. Such language used to be the preserve of anyone under 10. Are we being infantilized, what with Beatrix Potter characters and Paddington Bear on our coins as well? I vote we have the Tellytubbies on the next £5 note.

Oh I'm being grumpy today so forgive me if you can. The main thing is I don't have bowel cancer.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                      Tummy and poo.

I took part in the bowel cancer screening recently that everyone 60 and over can do over the post. The letter I got back used those words, as did a recent television advert. Such language used to be the preserve of anyone under 10. Are we being infantilized, what with Beatrix Potter characters and Paddington Bear on our coins as well? I vote we have the Tellytubbies on the next £5 note.

Oh I'm being grumpy today so forgive me if you can. The main thing is I don't have bowel cancer.
                      It's not every day one gets invited to smear one's fecal material on three windows.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        It's not every day one gets invited to smear one's fecal material on three windows.
                        The latest one I did was a twizzle stick to go back into a little vial, so all done in one go, rather than the 3 windows.
                        And yes, kiddy terminology seems to be the NHS approved script now; it appears on webpages as well. I'm assuming the justification is greater understanding by a population that no longer has a basic familiarity with human biology and the correct terms. It doesn't necessarily help those whose first language isn't English though, judging by what I've seen on TV and sometimes heard in the GP surgery, or pharmacy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          The latest one I did was a twizzle stick to go back into a little vial, so all done in one go, rather than the 3 windows.
                          And yes, kiddy terminology seems to be the NHS approved script now; it appears on webpages as well. I'm assuming the justification is greater understanding by a population that no longer has a basic familiarity with human biology and the correct terms. It doesn't necessarily help those whose first language isn't English though, judging by what I've seen on TV and sometimes heard in the GP surgery, or pharmacy.
                          Pharmacy?? Pharmacy???? Now, when I were a lad, chemists was good enough for the working man...

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I was intrigued to learn that the 4 'care navigators' at one Suffolk medical centre are much busier as a result of a drop in the number of GPs.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              I was intrigued to learn that the 4 'care navigators' at one Suffolk medical centre are much busier as a result of a drop in the number of GPs.
                              They must be on the steering committee...

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Pharmacy?? Pharmacy???? Now, when I were a lad, chemists was good enough for the working man...
                                Hence Boots the chemist...

Comment

Working...
                                X