Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Freude

I've just read a BBC news story about His Royal Nibs visiting Israel, and possibly being taken to see the grave of his grandmother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, in the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Jerusalem. "She was honoured by the Jewish people for hiding and saving the lives of Jews in Nazi-occupied Athens, Greece, during World War Two." Am I being oversensitive in resenting the phrase "Athens, Greece"? 'The Greek capital, Athens' might have passed unnoticed.

As a sixth-former, I remember being told about Victor Hugo's notebooks which he entitled, 'Choses vues'. "Things seen", we were told helpfully, which got a slow handclap from a class studying French for A-level. Similarly, to be told about the notebooks "'Things Seen' - Choses Vues'" avoids being patronising while still catering for the inattentive who needed the title to be translated for them.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... some people might be grateful for the clarification -

Athens, Ontario
      Athens, Alabama
      Athens, Arkansas
      Athens, California
      Athens, Georgia
      Athens, Illinois
      Athens, Indiana
      Athens, Kentucky
      Athens, Louisiana
      Athens, Maine
      Athens, Michigan
      Athens, Mississippi
      Athens, Missouri
      Athens, Nevada
      Athens, New York
      Athens (village), New York
      Athens, Ohio
      Athens County, Ohio
      Athens, Pennsylvania, a borough
      Athens, Tennessee
      Athens, Texas
      Athens, Vermont
      Athens, West Virginia
      Athens, Wisconsin

... and yes, I know the Nazis never occupied Canada or the US

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Athens, Ontario
        Athens, Alabama
        Athens, Arkansas
        Athens, California
        Athens, Georgia
        Athens, Illinois
        Athens, Indiana
        Athens, Kentucky
        Athens, Louisiana
        Athens, Maine
        Athens, Michigan
        Athens, Mississippi
        Athens, Missouri
        Athens, Nevada
        Athens, New York
        Athens (village), New York
        Athens, Ohio
        Athens County, Ohio
        Athens, Pennsylvania, a borough
        Athens, Tennessee
        Athens, Texas
        Athens, Vermont
        Athens, West Virginia
        Athens, Wisconsin

... and yes, I know the Nazis never occupied Canada or the US

They might have been sixth columnists - but I'd expect you to be Parthenon that one

Comment

• Andy Freude

Touché. I'm sure you're right

Though 'The Greek capital, Athens' might have been good enough.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
            "She was honoured by the Jewish people for hiding and saving the lives of Jews in Nazi-occupied Athens, Greece, during World War Two." Am I being oversensitive in resenting the phrase "Athens, Greece"? 'The Greek capital, Athens' might have passed unnoticed.

... my over-sensitive hackles were raised by 'World War Two'. When did it cease being 'the Second World War'?

Anyone who shouts out "1945", detention and two hundred lines of the Æneid bk ix

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

Well, well, well. I’ve just noticed that this thread is still going strong after I began it back in 2012!

When I pass beyond this mortal coil ☠️ I shall rest easy in the knowledge that Radio 3 forum readers will still be responding to my starting gun from all those years ago.

While I’m here I can add to the pantheon of disagreeable words and phrases the following:

Any presenter who feels the need to describe a Bruckner symphony as “mighty”.

Yes, EA, I’m looking at you.
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

Yes, EA, I’m looking at you.
                ... I'm sure Eine Alpensinfonie is not guilty!

(My personal battle against un-introduced abbreviations will continue until my dying day... )

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

... my over-sensitive hackles were raised by 'World War Two'. When did it cease being 'the Second World War'?

Anyone who shouts out "1945", detention and two hundred lines of the Æneid bk ix

Although 1945 is generally accepted as the end of the Second World War, the Peace Treaty with Japan wasn’t signed until 1951, and some outstanding issues with Germany weren’t resolved until the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I'll opt for WWII, but only because I like their piano duet playing.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I'll opt for WWII, but only because I like their piano duet playing.

... not this one, though?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• StephenMcK
                        • Jan 2020

Forgive me if the question has already been asked ... but at what point post September '39 was the war classed or named (a) as a conflict of 'world' dimensions and (b) who then proposed the concept or descriptors of World War I & II which then effectively retired the title of 'The Great War'.

Comment

• zola
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          Although 1945 is generally accepted as the end of the Second World War, the Peace Treaty with Japan wasn’t signed until 1951, and some outstanding issues with Germany weren’t resolved until the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990.
                          Japan and Russia have still to conclude a final peace treaty due to outstanding disputes over some northern islands.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
                            Forgive me if the question has already been asked ... but at what point post September '39 was the war classed or named (a) as a conflict of 'world' dimensions and (b) who then proposed the concept or descriptors of World War I & II which then effectively retired the title of 'The Great War'.
                            ... interesting questions, to which I have no answer, except what follows.

I recall from Geoffrey Madan's Notebooks his distress at the title of Repington's First World War, published in 1919, presupposing as it did that there would be another.

EDIT - ... and I see that wiki has : "The term "world war" was first used in September 1914 by German biologist and philosopher Ernst Haeckel, who claimed that "there is no doubt that the course and character of the feared 'European War' ... will become the first world war in the full sense of the word," citing a wire service report in The Indianapolis Star on 20 September 1914."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
                              And in Russia a different perspective applies with the wars being named: The Patriotic War of 1812. The Second Patriotic War of 1914. The Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.

Comment

• LezLee
                                • Apr 2019

Of course, to those of us of a certain age, it's usually just 'The War'.

Comment

Working...
                                X