Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
    Tory Leadership Race

It is not a race, there is no stopwatch, the winner isn't any faster than the loser. Why can't they simply call it for what it is ... the Tory Leadership Contest?
    Probably the run-up to a deal or no deal by the end of October is, though, whichever of these chumps gets the leadership.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
      Tory Leadership Race

It is not a race, there is no stopwatch, the winner isn't any faster than the loser. Why can't they simply call it for what it is ... the Tory Leadership Contest?
      British politicians usually stand for office while their US counterparts run.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

I'd be pleased not to hear or read the following again:
        'Disinvite', which is apparently subtly different from 'uninvite'; and
        'Deplane' and 'detrain', both of which have Susie Dent's imprimatur, which means that they're used often enough to have made it into the OED.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

"Debus" is a well-established term in the military, though not necessarily in connection with getting off a bus. The term relates to exiting any vehicle, usually with alacrity.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            "Debus" is a well-established term in the military, though not necessarily in connection with getting off a bus. The term relates to exiting any vehicle, usually with alacrity.
            ”Deplane” is another similar term, particularly in the US. Also words sometimes have a different meaning there. I was once on a plane about to take off and the captain announced “ the plane will be in the air momentarily”. I remarked that I hoped it would fly for rather longer than that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              ”Deplane” is another similar term, particularly in the US. Also words sometimes have a different meaning there. I was once on a plane about to take off and the captain announced “ the plane will be in the air momentarily”. I remarked that I hoped it would fly for rather longer than that.
              I think that that one's an example of a word that has held its meaning in the States, whilst it has changed here - Shakespeare uses "momentarily" to mean "in [rather than "for"] a little while".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I think that that one's an example of a word that has held its meaning in the States, whilst it has changed here - Shakespeare uses "momentarily" to mean "in [rather than "for"] a little while".
                Please correct me if I'm wrong (well, at least try ) but isn't momentarily used in the US sense in many Scottish dialects?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  Please correct me if I'm wrong (well, at least try ) but isn't momentarily used in the US sense in many Scottish dialects?
                  I wouldn't be surprised - in fact, I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid there were polite elderly people who also used in in that way in Lancashire, too.

Mind you, that was before the Mayflower left.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

I wouldn't be surprised - in fact, I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid there were polite elderly people who also used in in that way in Lancashire, too.

From Southampton?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I was born in London, raised in London, Swindon and Bracknell. To me, the use of “momentarily” to indicate, “in the very near future but not right now” is pretty much standard English usage.

Comment

• alycidon
                        • Feb 2013

The word ‘detrain’ has been used for many years in the context of exiting a train following an accident or breakdown, but as a railway enthusiast it appears to me to be the best word to use in those circumstances. In any other circumstance the correct word might be ‘to alight’.

I certainly agree with the OP that the first words he quotes are hideous.
                        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I am really irritated by people who praise others for "speaking their mind". As in, "I like that Boris/Farage/Trump, because I like a man [usually it is a man] who always speaks his mind". They often add "Because with people who don't shilly-shally you always know where you are with them". Which by implication automatically makes a person who "speaks his or her mind" likeable, because they must be trustworthy. Eh??? It makes me wonder what level of intelligence such people are exhibiting, and why without shame, or being questioned, because they always seem to get away with it in vox pops situations.

I think Hitler usually spoke his mind, didn't he?

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I was born in London, raised in London, Swindon and Bracknell. To me, the use of “momentarily” to indicate, “in the very near future but not right now” is pretty much standard English usage.
                            I agree, though at the time the pilot made his announcement I was more familiar with its use as referring to a very short period of time, as in “he hesitated momentarily before letting out a cry of anguish”. Momentarily may well be used more commonly in Scotland in that sense.

Other words which are more frequently used in Scotland with slightly different meanings are “without”, and “outwith”.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Not for me - it means what it says - just for a moment. Your definition is more like the Cornish ‘dreckly’.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                                From Southampton?
                                There are other more likely ports!

Comment

Working...
                                X