Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Brilliant stuff, teams

Still OT, the late great Joe Mercer, one-time manager of England and Man City was often good for English-of-the-moment, e.g., "Ohh that was a sap-strengthening blow" and "Playing at Wembley can be samina-stapping experience" being two personal faves

Yup, Joe was great value in every way.
    I shall never forget his great endeavours, as a pundit, to pronounce the name of Johan Cruyff correctly.
    Diffferent, and miles out, every time. I swear one time he pronounced it " Crufts" !!
    A great manager though, one of a breed who seemed just to be an eternal part of the game.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

" It turns out...." much beloved of American TV scientists.

"I've got a job I think you might enjoy".

Translated this means, " I am your boss, and I have some work that I hate doing, so you can do it instead."
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

"Well, what we have been saying..." is what Labour front bench politicians use as a get-out clause whenever they are asked what their policies are.

Comment

• Sydney Grew
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Two egregious blunders:

1) Saying "wait on" some event when one means "wait for" it.

2) Saying "an alternate proposal" when one means "an alternative proposal."

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. (Psalms 27:14)

(The KJV uses both wait on and wait for where the Vulgate has expectare. Modern translations I think always choose wait for. I'm not sure if there is a distinction in Hebrew.)

Last edited by jean; 19-06-13, 09:18.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              "Well, what we have been saying..." is what Labour front bench politicians use as a get-out clause whenever they are asked what their policies are.
              Or all politicians:

"We have no plans to ..." = "This is under consideration but we currently have no plans to ...we meet next week to discuss a possible policy."

Yes, alternate for alternative is commonly heard. The OED, though, gives alternative as a synonym of alternate (not the same thing?). It also allows alternative as 'that expresses or offers one of two or more things'. A pedant would nevertheless avoid the alternative given here.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Just had an American colleague describe her feeling at being selected for some honour as making her "prideful".
                Last edited by Sir Velo; 19-07-13, 17:55. Reason: prideful, not proudful

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  Just had an American colleague describe her feeling at being selected for some honour as making her "proudful".
                  Is she related to George W Bush?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Just had an American colleague describe her feeling at being selected for some honour as making her "prideful".
                    Perhaps she misheard: "Pride goes before a ful"?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I do rather like prideful, though.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Both proudful and prideful are in the OED ; the illustrative quotations there are mainly Scottish.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          the illustrative quotations there are mainly Scottish.
                          Oh, well, that doesn't count

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Both proudful and prideful are in the OED ; the illustrative quotations there are mainly Scottish.
                            Might have known it would be the Scots' fault. I must say though, whether in the OED or not, I have not come across either word before.

However, bearing in mind the depressing rapidity with which Americanisms are nowadays adopted, no doubt both words will be in common usage within a fortnight.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                              However, bearing in mind the depressing rapidity with which Americanisms are nowadays adopted, no doubt both words will be in common usage within a fortnight.
                              Yes; doesn't it make you sickful!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• scottycelt

Well, of course ... the Scots have so much more to be proudful and prideful about ...

Comment

Working...
                                X