Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    I think that's a good description, although it's as much legal jargon. But it is jargon, certainly - or was, at least. It dates from the 18th Century, I believe.
    OED earliest example is 1707:

Re Originally: in the matter of, referring to; in re (see in prep.2 23d). Subsequently: about, concerning.
    1707 T. Hearne Remarks & Coll. 17 May (O.H.S.) II. 14 Amused by Charlett's trick re Tacitus.

The aforementioned 23d has five examples of 'in re' of which all but the following refer to legal cases:

1896 E. Terry Let. 7 Dec. in Ellen Terry & Shaw (1931) 136 What do you mean by saying (in re The Philanderer) it is dull and bestial?

I think it is commercial jargon in the sense that it turns up in letters thus:

Dear Sir,

Re yours of the 10th inst ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      "Some more organised rain", as in weather forecasts; is this only ever trotted out by Roman Catholic meteorologists or is it just my warped imagination? (maybe scotty would know!).
      Poor Scotty is really struggling to see any obvious connection between meteorology and the dreaded disease popularly known as Roman Catholicism, ahinton.

A possible link to secular astrology seems to him rather more plausible, though he is at pains to point out that he has never really given this particular matter any significant degree of thought.

As for your self-confessed 'warped imagination' he cannot possibly comment but certainly does admire your willingness to pose this very personal question to other members!

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Backstory.

Is this execrable neologism getting "favorized" because history is gender specific?

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Backstory.

Is this execrable neologism getting "favorized" because history is gender specific?
          From the March events for UK City of Culture (Derry/Londonderry/:aka The Maiden City)

''The Maidens' City: A Herstory of the Walled City.''

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Backstory.

No, it's because it means something different - specifically a history invented for a character in a film or work of fiction that hadn't been thought of when the film (or whatever) was first devised.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Except it is now being used as a synonym for history. For example, the violinist James Ehnes spoke in an interview about the interesting backstory (sic) to Bartok's 1st violin concerto; AFAIAM the concerto is not "a history invented for a character in a film or work of fiction that hadn't been thought of when the film (or whatever) was first devised."

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Has this one been mentioned before? - 'myself' instead of 'me' or 'I'. & sometimes 'I myself'.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I think it is commercial jargon in the sense that it turns up in letters thus:

Dear Sir,

Re yours of the 10th inst ...
                  What does 'inst' mean in this case?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    What does 'inst' mean in this case?
                    It means, your last communication of this current month. Much used by old-school solicitors

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      It means, your last communication of this current month. Much used by old-school solicitors
                      Similarly ult(imo mense) next month, and prox(imo mense) next month.

They just use it to put the wind up clients, as I'm sure Caliban will agree.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Have we mentioned "going forward", yet? It's raising its ugly head more and more frequently everywhere and especially at work from people who should know better. Going forward, it seems to be a sort of verbal padding. Just shove it in when you can't think of anything to say, going forward.

(If we've done this before my apologies, but I've heard and read it so often this week....)

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

I read today that Ed Balls wants to get the "economic growth growing". A new low, even by his subterranean standards.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• JFLL
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            Have we mentioned "going forward", yet?
                            Or its even worse variant 'to progress' as a transitive verb, as in 'to progress an issue'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              I read today that Ed Balls wants to get the "economic growth growing". A new low, even by his subterranean standards.
                              It's not as bad as when Michael Foot and Denis Healey told us to "think positive".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                It's not as bad as when Michael Foot and Denis Healey told us to "think positive".
                                There is something on the plus side to be said for it, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X