Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Yes, re 'train station', 'train track' etc. A classic example of anti-language. 'Railway' is a perfectly good word; it doesn't mean anything else and is explicit. There is no good reason for excising it from our language.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Yes, re 'train station', 'train track' etc. A classic example of anti-language. 'Railway' is a perfectly good word; it doesn't mean anything else and is explicit. There is no good reason for excising it from our language.
      I hate the term too, it sounds clumsy! Maybe that is because Railway Station is what I’ve known for most of my life - however, very reluctantly logically I may go to a Bus Station to catch a bus and so to a Train Station to catch a train (not a railway). The Temperance Seven song, Pasadena, however, would not have had the same whistle had it started ‘Oh you train station’.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

In Bournemouth, there is a 'Travel Interchange'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          I hate the term too, it sounds clumsy! Maybe that is because Railway Station is what I’ve known for most of my life - however, very reluctantly logically I may go to a Bus Station to catch a bus and so to a Train Station to catch a train (not a railway). The Temperance Seven song, Pasadena, however, would not have had the same whistle had it started ‘Oh you train station’.
          Poor logic though - no one has ever spoken of busways!

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I don't know about "no-one"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambri..._Guided_Busway and https://www.busways.com.au/ (although admittedly not in this country)

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              I don't know about "no-one"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambri..._Guided_Busway and https://www.busways.com.au/ (although admittedly not in this country)

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Most bus routes aren't dedicated 'busways', a term presumably invented to designate a dedicated road/way/path. Railway has more in common with 'chemin de fer', ferrovia, ferrocarril, Eisenbahn, where rail is just more specific than iron.

I'm not sure that a bus station and a (railway) station are similar things. 'Train station' would suggest a terminus, like a bus station, rather than a stop along a route.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Most bus routes aren't dedicated 'busways', a term presumably invented to designate a dedicated road/way/path. Railway has more in common with 'chemin de fer', ferrovia, ferrocarril, Eisenbahn, where rail is just more specific than iron.

'Train station' would suggest a terminus, like a bus station, rather than a stop along a route.
                  Ah, but why would it though? What's the logic? And if so, why wouldn't "railway station" also suggest a terminus?

Nonetheless, we don't talk of "plane stations", or "car stations" so I will continue to use railway station if for no other reason, than it is inherently more elegant!

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

A railway station is still that if there are no trains in it! And many 'trains' are only one coach so aren't really 'trains'. It's just a question of clarity, which is surely what language is about.

For the same reason I always say 'aeroplane' as it's unambigious. 'Plane ' can mean sveeral different things.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

The one that gets on my nerves is "station stop", which, to me, appears to be tautologous.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        The one that gets on my nerves is "station stop", which, to me, appears to be tautologous.
                        I think it's to distiniguish it from those random stops at signals, fields full of cows etc.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          Ah, but why would it though? What's the logic?
                          I.e. why would 'train station' suggest a terminus? On the exact analogy of 'bus station' (vehicle + station) which is a terminus, not an individual stop,

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          And if so, why wouldn't "railway station" also suggest a terminus?
                          It can be either, a terminus or an individual stop. But 'railway station' and 'bus station' are not analogous, because 'railway' has a much wider meaning (= the entire system, or a section of it or the track itself), whereas 'bus' is just the vehicle. Bus network, or busway have meanings which overlap with both.

Be this all as it may - or may not - much of the dislike, I suspect, comes from the unnecessary import of the American term when we already have a perfectly adequate British one. The late Jean contended that a shorter term tended to replace a longer one, in which case why "The next station stop ..." rather than "the next stop .."? NB To suggest that 'The next stop' may be at a stop signal rather than a station is mere pedantry, since we don't get "Oh, oh, we're going to have to stop at a signal in a minute. The next stop will not be Basingstoke station, as announced, but the traffic signal approximately 500 yards before the station platform".
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I.e. why would 'train station' suggest a terminus? On the exact analogy of 'bus station' (vehicle + station) which is a terminus, not an individual stop,
                            The bus station in the city here is both - in fact the impression I get when I'm there is that relatively few buses terminate there, as in everyone gets off. For most of the services it is just a stop on a longer journey, whether city based or in from from outside.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              The bus station in the city here is both - in fact the impression I get when I'm there is that relatively few buses terminate there, as in everyone gets off. For most of the services it is just a stop on a longer journey, whether city based or in from from outside.
                              It's my limited experience then. I was judging by Bristol and Chur, in Switzerland, where buses from many routes draw into bays - like railway termini - and there are departure and arrival boards. You can change buses, but very few would simply stop for a minute or so and then drive out straight away: they'd need to wait for passengers to arrive from other routes to get on. And there are ticket and enquiry offices. I imagine buses stand there overnight once the service ends for the day. That's what I would call a 'bus station'.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

No its not its perfectly logical. …and ff most bus stations in Cornwall are bus stops and termini depending on what route they serve.

Comment

Working...
                                X