Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    "Invite" as a noun - yet another Americanism. What was wrong with "invitation"?
    The use of "quote" for "quotation" is similarly annoying but embedded in usage. Some bright spark will no doubt point out that we ask plumbers for their estimate rather than their estimation...

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
      The use of "quote" for "quotation" is similarly annoying but embedded in usage. Some bright spark will no doubt point out that we ask plumbers for their estimate rather than their estimation...
      Electricians surely?

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Electricians surely?
        Nice one!

Two more: 'gift' as a verb, along with 'gifting'; and 'living my best life', which seems to be a faddish way of saying 'being true to myself' but is treated as meaning 'having the time of my life', at least as I've seen it used recently.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
          Nice one!

Two more: 'gift' as a verb, along with 'gifting'; and 'living my best life', which seems to be a faddish way of saying 'being true to myself' but is treated as meaning 'having the time of my life', at least as I've seen it used recently.
          I find that phrase irritating, but possible to ignore, when applied to humans, but when used for the likes of rescued/repaired dogs, cats, zoo animals etc I find myself shouting "how do you know?".

Comment

• JasonPalmer
            • Dec 2022

When people say "see you later" when we have no plans to meet at all, why not just say "goodbye".
            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
              When people say "see you later" when we have no plans to meet at all, why not just say "goodbye".
              See John Cage's A Year from Monday.

About this book's title (apart from its ambiguity and my interest in non-
              measurement) : it was a Saturday; there were six of us having dinner in a
              restaurant on the Hudson north of Newburgh; we arranged to meet in Mexico
              (I've never been in other parts of Mexico than Lower California); three had been
              in Mexico and were delighted at the prospect of returning; one was born there but
              hadn't been there for five years; his wife, whom he married in India, like me has
              never been there; two others, not present at the dinner, both of whom have been
              in Mexico and love it, hopefully will join us; we may be a party of eight); in order
              to realize this rendezvous, all of us (knowing how to say Yes) will have to learn
              to say No—No, that is, to anything that may come between us and the realization
              of our plan.
              As explained in the Afterword o the book, the Mexican meetup never took place.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

They may have (non)religious grounds for not saying "God be with you"? Having learned two or three words in Hungarian in order to delight Hungarian friends, I was a little put out to discover that 'Szia', pronounced more or less like "See ya", was used for saying hello and goodbye, which made saying 'Szia' on arrival feel a bit uncomfortable.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

"Goodbye" can sound quite dismissive and also final, and is used in that way on occasion. Other languages seem to tend towards the rather softer approach - au revoir, arrivederci, tot siens, auf wiedersehen, all of which allude to seeing someone again, so I think saying "see you" (rather than "see you later" which I agree sounds a bit false) is acceptable as an alternative. I find myself using it for casual encounters in town, where a few words are exchanged in passing and where there is often the likelihood I will see the person again before too long.
                  On the other hand, "See you"/"see you again" from radio presenters is just a nonsense.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

"Train station ". 'Nuff said.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Or as Lizzie A says ‘Ta ra’!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        "Train station ". 'Nuff said.
                        One of my bêtes noirs as well.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Or as Lizzie A says ‘Ta ra’!
                          I often say "Ciao for now" - leaving open an optimistic hope for the future.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I often say "Ciao for now" - leaving open an optimistic hope for the future.
                            I wondered where the word 'ciao' came from. It means 'Your slave' apparently!
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I wondered where the word 'ciao' came from. It means 'Your slave' apparently!
                              In Bavaria and Austria, fifty years ago Servus ('Your servant'), was common as a hello or goodbye, especially among the young. I suspect this is now out of fashion.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                In Bavaria and Austria, fifty years ago Servus ('Your servant'), was common as a hello or goodbye, especially among the young. I suspect this is now out of fashion.
                                And in Hungary, now I think of it - but I hadn't connected 'ciao' with it!

Comment

Working...
                                X