Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Probably been replaced by 'super' being used everywhere as in super-excited, super-thrilled, super-honoured which I have heard of late - I first started hearing it from tennis players in post-match conferences usually from Europeans, but it has started to turn up in the UK too, of late - I find it kind of iritating, though not super-annoying.
    “Great”

“ Super”.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      So it’s Still super popular, and often used in emails, I find.
      You so and so!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Immersive - as in
        Children attend the preview of Van Gogh Alive, an immersive, multi-sensory art experience in Festival Square
        (Guardian picture caption)
        This has become a fashionable adjective

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Probably been replaced by 'super' being used everywhere as in super-excited, super-thrilled, super-honoured which I have heard of late - I first started hearing it from tennis players in post-match conferences usually from Europeans, but it has started to turn up in the UK too, of late - I find it kind of iritating, though not super-annoying.
          The mention of ‘super’ takes me back to Reginald Perrin and one of his office colleagues favourite responses.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Immersive - as in
            Children attend the preview of Van Gogh Alive, an immersive, multi-sensory art experience in Festival Square
            But is mere presumed fashionability necessarily synonymous with the setting of teeth on edge?

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Is it my imagination or are interviewees currently increasingly inclined to preface their replies with "That's a great question"? Someone on M Bragg's In Our Time show just used it. Not especially tooth-grinding but it often seems not to be strikingly applicable.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                But is mere presumed fashionability necessarily synonymous with the setting of teeth on edge?
                I imagine it to be used with little thought, and therefore relatively meaningless; furthermore, immersion is a subjectve experience, unlikely to be capable of being induced.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  "That's a great question"
                  A way of gaining a few more seconds' thinking time.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Immersive - as in
                    Correctly used, the follow-up should be "Visitors are invited to jump in".

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Immersive - as in
                      Only way to deal with the great unwashed don'tcha know.

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        The mention of ‘super’ takes me back to Reginald Perrin and one of his office colleagues favourite responses.

https://youtu.be/6ajEW9kjufM
                        Great to revisit it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Today's programme changes on Channel 5 are being explained by a power outage. What on earth was wrong with "power cut"? - it's much shorter, doesn't take away valuable time. How long before our entire language becomes Americanised?

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Today's programme changes on Channel 5 are being explained by a power outage. What on earth was wrong with "power cut"? - it's much shorter, doesn't take away valuable time. How long before our entire language becomes Americanised?

The origins go back to the middle of the 19th century, and the American usage to the beginning of the 20th century. My 1972 Chambers dictionary lists all the options, including the electricity one. "Outage" in the sense of loss of supply is accurate and also avoids the suspicion of deliberate interference that "cut" might imply, since the rollout of smart meters has come with increased distrust about the level of control it gives over provision of supply? Then again it could just be another case of using a new/different term just for the sake of it or because someone thought it a good idea.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

If all it means is that the electricity supply has failed, yes, why not just the usual term: "We had a power cut." I confess to having used the word 'outage' when something but I'm not sure what has caused the forum to be temporarily unavailable. VBulletin Solutions is/are based in California and FutureQuest, our Web Hosting service is, I think, in Florida. So outage and downtime seem to be the terms used most frequently. We perhaps don't have "British English" versions.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

How long before our entire language becomes Americanised?

I noticed when listening to a recent Sunday Breakfast that Martin Handley said ‘cen-tenn-ary’ - is this not an Americanism, or have I been pronouncing ‘cen-teen-ary’ wrong all these years?
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X