Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Boilk
    "The fastest human on Earth" does at least leave open the possibility that there may be faster ones on Venus, Mars, etc. or exoplanets. It's still too soon to know for sure.
    So does planets doesn't it? After all, there are other planets - Venus, Mars etc.

The point I was making was that "planet" now seems to have supplanted "Earth" in constructions of this type. You can take your pick whether it's "fastest human", "highest volcano", "wettest city", "smallest rodent" etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

OPTICS

I always thought they were drink apportioning dispensers, but they now seem to have acquired a mysterious new meaning. Can anybody explain to me what this is?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        OPTICS

I always thought they were drink apportioning dispensers, but they now seem to have acquired a mysterious new meaning. Can anybody explain to me what this is?
        I always thought it was a branch of Physics!
        …or spectacles ‘when cleaning them I think you cannot be optimistic with a misty optic’
        Misty optics, of course, bedevilling wearing of masks in high atmospheric humidity.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

OPTICS

North American
          (typically in a political context) the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.

"what we really need in this circumstance is to make smart decisions in the best interest of student safety—not simply make changes that win political points for optics"

Connected with British(?) 'have a good look' as in that doesn't have a good look, does it? Or is that American too?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            North American
            (typically in a political context) the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.

"what we really need in this circumstance is to make smart decisions in the best interest of student safety—not simply make changes that win political points for optics"

Connected with British(?) 'have a good look' as in that doesn't have a good look, does it? Or is that American too?
            Well, as to the latter I don't know, though I suspect so. But thanks for the explanation, ff - another Americanism, though in this case I suppose it doesn't matter, there being no already existing word to cover its meaning.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

But thanks for the explanation, ff - another Americanism, though in this case I suppose it doesn't matter, there being no already existing word to cover its meaning.
              I don't know why Americanisms should present a problem in themselves. Optics, for example, in its current use, is a great word. As for 'a good look', I find it interesting that it seems to be usually used in the negative as indicated by f f. Is it a subtle way of avoiding the word 'bad'? Note too that 'That looks bad' is a very stark phrase compared to 'That doesn't have a good look.' Optics count.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

'Quote-unquote' spoken before the word or phrase being referred to - instead of bracketing it.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  'Quote-unquote' spoken before the word or phrase being referred to - instead of bracketing it.
                  How do you speak brackets?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

So you say "in brackets" before whatever it is that would otherwise be written in quotes?

I can't see how that represents any improvement - and brackets aren't inverted commas!

I see ff got there first!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      How do you speak brackets?
                      Parenthetically?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

I.e. Quote alleged unquote
                        rather than quote unquote alleged
                        to convey "alleged"

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I.e. Quote alleged unquote
                          rather than quote unquote alleged
                          to convey "alleged"
                          Ah, I see that. But what is the use of the word 'alleged' supposed to convey in such a context?

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Why is the word 'egregious' so over-used these days?

I can't remember it being in use until recently, then all of a sudden it's everywhere. Not a word I've found of much use, preferring 'bad', shocking'. awful' or similar more effective synonyms to convey my meaning.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Why is the word 'egregious' so over-used these days?

I can't remember it being in use until recently, then all of a sudden it's everywhere. Not a word I've found of much use, preferring 'bad', shocking'. awful' or similar more effective synonyms to convey my meaning.
                              Yes but think of all the times "bad", "shocking" and "awful" were used insufficiently to cover the enormity of what they were describing! "Egregious" seems to have an extra "edge", couldn't one say?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Yes but think of all the times "bad", "shocking" and "awful" were used insufficiently to cover the enormity of what they were describing! "Egregious" seems to have an extra "edge", couldn't one say?
                                It's been part of my, mainly political, vocabulary for at least half a century.

Comment

Working...
                                X