Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Why is a preview almost always a 'sneak preview'?

Journalists seem to write this even, say, when they have been invited to preview the thing.
    Yes, it does give me the feeling of something rather underhand, not positive, but the advertising/promotional world from which it presumably came evidently doesn't see it that way.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Journalists seem to write this even, say, when they have been invited to preview the thing.
      Self-criticism by the previewer?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Gives the reader the impression that they're sharing a rare privilege?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Gives the reader the impression that they're sharing a rare privilege?
          Yes: I was just about to write, "To let the listener or viewer in on it".

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Acquisition of the cachet of investigative journalist.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Acquisition of the cachet of investigative journalist.
              The cash cow.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

“Sneak preview “ is a real journalist cliché. What it means is there wasn’t much news around today so we pulled this press release out of the diary …

Like the phrase “early start” as in

“ It was an early start for these two plucky swimmers as they braved the dawn waters of the English Channel .”

When a journo once wrote “it was an early start for these two otters from the xxxx otter sanctuary” the editor asked “ what do you mean by ‘ early start?’ Do you know what time otters generally get up ? “

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Stated so often currently by interviewees during tv and radio interviews:

'That's a really excellent question'.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Like it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                      “Sneak preview “ is a real journalist cliché. What it means is there wasn’t much news around today so we pulled this press release out of the diary …

Like the phrase “early start” as in

“ It was an early start for these two plucky swimmers as they braved the dawn waters of the English Channel .”

When a journo once wrote “it was an early start for these two otters from the xxxx otter sanctuary” the editor asked “ what do you mean by ‘ early start?’ Do you know what time otters generally get up ? “
                      To which I would have replied, "Ooh I dunno - probably at some otterly ridiculous early hour"!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        'That's a really excellent question'.
                        'And I'm glad you asked it.'
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Some others for your consideration:

"The planet" as opposed to "Earth" , as in "the fastest human on..."

"Sat" instead of "sitting" as in "I've been sat here". Oh yes, who sat you there then?

"Town hall meeting" as in "We've arranged a town hall meeting for all colleagues". You've booked the town hall for this? Seems like a huge expense to go to for something which could have been done in the office.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

I see the BBC continues to use "to kick off" as in to inaugurate for almost every event it covers. Used again to announce the commencement of the Proms season, thereby showing the corporation's contempt for the arts, if further proof were ever needed, by such an ugly, demotic turn of phrase. If a metaphor must be used how much more appropriate to say "Raise the curtain" or "lift the baton".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              I see the BBC continues to use "to kick off" as in to inaugurate for almost every event it covers. Used again to announce the commencement of the Proms season, thereby showing the corporation's contempt for the arts, if further proof were ever needed, by such an ugly, demotic turn of phrase. If a metaphor must be used how much more appropriate to say "Raise the curtain" or "lift the baton".
                              I think the term is fine when appropriately applied, as for example: "Charlie Parker kicks off with his Cherokee solo, in no doubt of the direction he intends to take", to give an idea of the energy his is putting into his backing band at that point in the performance. As for "I am sat", it seems to be a common colloquialism over large parts of the country - no one has ever picked me up on it! I wouldn't use it in writing, other than in quoting, however.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Another relatively new journalistic cliche is 'It is not clear...'. As in, 'It is not clear whether the cabinet is agreed on this'. I.e. - we don't know!

It has become very common for reports included in the news to end (e.g.) 'Whether this situation will continue is not clear'. This seems to be a regretful avowal that the journalist concerned is unable to predict the future (something that, as a profession, they seem to feel obliged to do.)

Comment

Working...
                                X