Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... well, it's preparation for a world of halves and halve-nots, innit.

Tho' they're more used to haves and have-yachts

coat on hook

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I've seen the word "anent" used here on the forum - I didn't know what anent meant, never having encountered it before.
      I believe I may be guilty Goes back to my years working in a Scottish university (as in 'committee anent students'), alongside such Scotticisms as 'outwith'. And 'snib'. And 'puckle hoosie'. And 'it's a sair trachle'.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

I've seen the word "anent" used here on the forum - I didn't know what anent meant, never having encountered it before.
        ... in Modern English Usage [1927] HW Fowler has a good rant about the use of anent -

"anent, apart from its use in Scotch law-courts, where it is in place, is chiefly met with in letters to the press ; that is, it is a favourite with unpractised writers who, on their holiday excursions into print, like to show that they possess gala attire... "

I think he likes thereanent even less

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

... in Modern English Usage [1927] HW Fowler has a good rant about the use of anent -

"anent, apart from its use in Scotch law-courts, where it is in place ,[/B]
          I think it is (or was) Scottish administrative rather than confined to the law-courts. Looking through an old university calendar, I find "Committee Anent the Chaplaincy", "Committee Anent the Television Service"; also somewhat dated, going with such departments as Natural Philosophy for Physics or Humanity for Latin.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

"anent, apart from its use in Scotch law-courts, where it is in place, is chiefly met with in letters to the press ; that is, it is a favourite with unpractised writers who, on their holiday excursions into print, like to show that they possess gala attire... "
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I believe I may be guilty Goes back to my years working in a Scottish university (as in 'committee anent students'), alongside such Scotticisms as 'outwith'. And 'snib'. And 'puckle hoosie'. And 'it's a sair trachle'.
              Hmm, having worked in "Scotch" universities for a good part of my career (Manchester was a bit of an aberration), I would guess that the only part of Scotland where someone might come out with a quaint phrase like "puckle hoosie" is Aberdeen - definitely not Glasgow. But I do plead guilty to using, 'outwith', 'snib' and, if TOH is whining about something, 'Oh, life is such a sair fecht'. But definitely not, 'anent'. I'm with Fowler on that one.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                I would guess that the only part of Scotland where someone might come out with a quaint phrase like "puckle hoosie" is Aberdeen
                Well guessed! Scotland is another country, having so many more ancient universities than England - they do things differently there.

From the Aberdeen Calendar 1978-79 (in the Auld Toon cafe they speak of nothing else):

I should add that in my day the bajans still wore red togas.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

"We need to be more with the times".

Mentioned on Radio 4 this morning, frequently used in condemnation of those of us who "fail" to "keep up with the times".

I am linking this in particular with another item of discussion on TV this morning, which, typically, pushed the case for getting rid of cash entirely and going for a "cashless society". But what, if anything beyond clumsy rhetoric extolling unquestioning compliance, does this phrase actually mean when unpicked?

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

'Pre-big-match-build-up'.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

But what, if anything beyond clumsy rhetoric extolling unquestioning compliance, does this phrase actually mean when unpicked?
                      Just a meaningless new coinage.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

'England and Scotland set for key Euros clash' might perhaps be more newsworthy if 'set' were replaced by 'hopelessly unprepared'.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

'Sekatry' now common on BBC for secretary (four syllables).

(Arguably for Pronunciation Watch thread - but it really sets my teeth on edge atm.)

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            'Sekatry' now common on BBC for secretary (four syllables).

(Arguably for Pronunciation Watch thread - but it really sets my teeth on edge atm.)
                            There's a long histry of such concatenisations. Many have commented on this. Have a look in the libry

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

I wince when somebody says we're in 'unchartered [sic] waters'.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                I wince when somebody says we're in 'unchartered [sic] waters'.
                                It's becoming popular, using unchartered instead of uncharted, presumably due to the modern day cut and paste approach to reporting and writing which removes the step of checking that the correct term is being used. I tend to laugh when I hear it because the subject matter is never such as would lend itself to the chartering process.

Comment

Working...
                                X