Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I sense that 'so' is in decline.
    Who says- not what I’m hearing most days!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Reportedly.

Just noted so many times in a youtube scandalmonger on Kate and William I lost count.

Oh by the way, I do not speak for Kate or William.

Reportedly.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Reportedly.

Just noted so many times in a youtube scandalmonger on Kate and William I lost count.

Reportedly.
        Do you think allegedly is the word they actually mean?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Do you think allegedly is the word they actually mean?
          A few months ago a panel member on a TV chat show was warned not to use "allegedly" because it's use would not necessarily escape libel actionability, although I'm not sure if an actual person is always required for something to be alleged.

It's all very mysterious, see?

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

From today's summary schedule
            Works by Britten, Julian Anderson and Wigglesworth himself, who solos in Mozart's Piano Concert No. 12.
            [ My bold.]
            As we've said before, who writes these things?
            At least the full version is better.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

From today's summary schedule
              [ My bold.]
              As we've said before, who writes these things?
              You mean, "who solo's"???

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

You mean, "who solo's"???
                Naughty! Did set off a train of thought - apostrophe to greengrocer to squashy tomatoes to (fairly harmless)agents of protest soon to be criminalised.
                Right, time for a cuppa and a return to sense - possibly.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

You mean where they wrote Piano Concerto, rather than Piano Concert?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    You mean where they wrote Piano Concerto, rather than Piano Concert?
                    I hadn't noticed that - I suppose my brain "corrected" what I was reading - well spotted. I wonder what was in the Piano Concerts 1-11.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Reportedly.

Reportedly.
                      I think it’s in their contract now to speak for themselves!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

I hadn't noticed that - I suppose my brain "corrected" what I was reading - well spotted. I wonder what was in the Piano Concerts 1-11.
                        Perhaps they were confusing them with Dave Smith's Piano Concerts.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

'Affordable housing'. The proportion of affordable housing promised for a local development was reduced when the developers subsequently claimed that if the original proportion were maintained they would be unable to meet other contractual commitments (new school, landscaping, improved access etc.) Presumably the majority of present and future developments will largely comprise unaffordable housing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            'Affordable housing'. The proportion of affordable housing promised for a local development was reduced when the developers subsequently claimed that if the original proportion were maintained they would be unable to meet other contractual commitments (new school, landscaping, improved access etc.) Presumably the majority of present and future developments will largely comprise unaffordable housing.
                            Or affordable housing of the sorts where you go through the front door and are immediately confronted with the back door, as I saw in the new Stoke Gifford private estate as long back in the 1980s, while the stairs are so narrow you can't even get a mattress up let alone double bed. Shocking when you think about it, but there you go if you follow capitalist logic to the nth degree. It's time many people started asking why generations before us bothered fighting for better lives, only for this lot to throw it all away in favour of putting privileged prats in charge. It's back to C19 slums to come, except they're already here.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              It's not affordable housing anyway.
                              The Affordable Housing Commission (2020) concluded that “many” of these products “are clearly unaffordable to those on mid to lower incomes.”
                              from https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7747/
                              I suspect the problem is that developers don't want to get involved in any form of rented housing which many AH builds seem to be, and also they don't want anything to even fractionally lower their high profit margins. They are also very well aware that they can agree a percentage of AH provision in order to get planning knowing that when they come to build they can plead poverty part way through the development, reduce or eliminate AHP, and the planning authority can do nothing about it, and a tory government isn't going to bite the hand that feeds the party coffers by insisting on sticking to the rules. the It's a disgusting state of affairs but very much the way this country runs now.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

It's not affordable housing anyway. from https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7747/
                                I suspect the problem is that developers don't want to get involved in any form of rented housing which many AH builds seem to be, and also they don't want anything to even fractionally lower their high profit margins. They are also very well aware that they can agree a percentage of AH provision in order to get planning knowing that when they come to build they can plead poverty part way through the development, reduce or eliminate AHP, and the planning authority can do nothing about it, and a tory government isn't going to bite the hand that feeds the party coffers by insisting on sticking to the rules. the It's a disgusting state of affairs but very much the way this country runs now.

Comment

Working...
                                X