Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Muscadet sur lie - oui!
    Avec cassis?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Oui, mais pour un bon kir, pas trop.

I re-kindled this thread, not to talk about that, but to moan about my recent pet hate. It's the word 'there', as thrown in constantly (e.g. by Sarah Walker, but others also). It occurs at the end of a piece..."with Muriel Bloggs on the flute there ", or "lovely harmonies there". Where? Under the table? Behind the curtains? Somewhere unmentionable? The trouble is, once you've noticed a 'tick', it really gets on your nerves.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Oui, mais pour un bon kir, pas trop.

I re-kindled this thread, not to talk about that, but to moan about my recent pet hate. It's the word 'there', as thrown in constantly (e.g. by Sarah Walker, but others also). It occurs at the end of a piece..."with Muriel Bloggs on the flute there ", or "lovely harmonies there". Where? Under the table? Behind the curtains? Somewhere unmentionable? The trouble is, once you've noticed a 'tick', it really gets on your nerves.
        I know someone who says that, whenever he's holding forth about something. I find myself frowning and just waiting for him to say it again. I don't like to say, "Why do you keep putting 'there' into what you're saying?" because once it becomes a habit people can't seem to stop. Like I used to keeping saying "Um" when I was younger.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

A certain Breakfast presenter, on a day of the week I shall not name, begins many a sentence 'Now..' - completely redundantly.

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

Not so much on R3 but generally - the word ‘so’ prefacing every clause or phrase. It’s only a little word but it drives me mad.
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
              Not so much on R3 but generally - the word ‘so’ prefacing every clause or phrase. It’s only a little word but it drives me mad.
              It's a fairly blatant device used by those answer isn't quite ready.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                It's a fairly blatant device used by those answer isn't quite ready.
                I've been wondering about this. Has it replaced the word 'Well …' used in a similar way?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I've been wondering about this. Has it replaced the word 'Well …' used in a similar way?
                  Not to mention that old favourite that goes something like: 'Well, I'm particularly glad you asked that question, David. It's certainly a very important question, and I'm grateful - as I'm sure the listeners are - to have been given the chance to answer it'.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                    Now is preferable to ‘so’.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I sense that 'so' is in decline.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        "So" equals "therefore"; but one hears people using it to introduce something that has no logical connection to what preceded. The world is going crazy.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          "So" equals "therefore"; but one hears people using it to introduce something that has no logical connection to what preceded. The world is going crazy.
                          Well, so-so, anyway.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            No. In this context it is a semantically null (place holder) expletive. It serves the same purpose as "Ummm", "Errr", "Well... "

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

I remember someone on the radio reporting an overheard conversation near an Oxford College. One speaker was starting his sentence with: "Ninthly, ...."

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                No. In this context it is a semantically null (place holder) expletive. It serves the same purpose as "Ummm", "Errr", "Well... "
                                I remember Gillian Reynolds writing that one of her 'good resolutions' was to stop introducing sentences with 'So'. This is very much a 'younger generation' neologism, but where/why did it start?

Comment

Working...
                                X