Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    'Tirelessly' - as in 'Government departments are working tirelessly to find new ways of stopping people meeting each other' &c &c. It might accurately describe their labours but it has become tedious. It seems to be mainly 'No 10 speak', as not only the PM but his press spokespersons use it.
    Would "untiringly" be all right then?

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Mac 'n' cheese
      This name, which has invaded British pub menus, and which apparently simply means what we have always called Macaroni Cheese irritates me because (a) it first makes me think of it as a MacDonald's product and/or involving a meat patty; (b) we had a perfectly good name for it already; (c) galloping americanisms. (Apparently the derivation is from a US branded ready meal version of the dish.)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Mac 'n' cheese
        This name, which has invaded British pub menus, and which apparently simply means what we have always called Macaroni Cheese irritates me because (a) it first makes me think of it as a MacDonald's product and/or involving a meat patty; (b) we had a perfectly good name for it already; (c) galloping americanisms. (Apparently the derivation is from a US branded ready meal version of the dish.)
        So that's what "Mac 'n' cheese" is. I have often wondered but never bothered to investigate.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Mac 'n' cheese
          Agree. Raincoat with cheese also makes little sense.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Agree. Raincoat with cheese also makes little sense.
            And the vegan version, mac without cheese, is even more disgusting
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              And the vegan version, mac without cheese, is even more disgusting
              I've been given a jar of chorizo jam for Christmas two years running, but this year from another source I was given plum cheese. It makes me feel there's something I've been missing about my native language. Or perhaps just about gastronomy.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Mac 'n' cheese
                Thoroughly agree, Mrs C and I have hated this name ever since it first crept in.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I've been given a jar of chorizo jam for Christmas two years running, but this year from another source I was given plum cheese. It makes me feel there's something I've been missing about my native language. Or perhaps just about gastronomy.
                  ... the OED gives examples of 'cheese' as a 'conserve of fruit' from as early as 1530. Get with the xvj th century, ff!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... the OED gives examples of 'cheese' as a 'conserve of fruit' from as early as 1530. Get with the xvj th century, ff!

That's English for you, v. I was familiar with 'fromage de tête' not being a dairy product. I can understand anything being shaped in a mould and given a 'forma' being fromage or formaggio. But cheese, Käse, queso etc comes from the casein root which is dairy produce. However, cheese seems to refer to the texture, fromage to the shape. Allegedly. But chorizo jam seems to group itself lingustically with red onion marmalade.

Much to think upon
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

That's English for you, v. I was familiar with 'fromage de tête' not being a dairy product. I can understand anything being shaped in a mould and given a 'forma' being fromage or formaggio. But cheese, Käse, queso etc comes from the casein root which is dairy produce. However, cheese seems to refer to the texture, fromage to the shape. Allegedly. But chorizo jam seems to group itself lingustically with red onion marmalade.

Much to think upon
                      If there's chorizo in it, you might be able to chew it over, too.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Much to think upon
                        New insights here on a daily basis. I hadn't realised "fromage" was cognate with "forma" - nice bit of metathesis.

Re Käse: in German "Red keinen Käse!" (also works with "Quark") means "Don't talk rubbish" (or indeed baloney ... but not chorizo).

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

There's also fruit butter and leather - all part of the wonderful world of preserving, and getting the most out of produce. As this mentions it is possible to get two out of one, jelly and then cheese https://www.allotment-garden.org/rec...tters-cheeses/ which I used to do when I only had or wanted small quantities, such as the medlars from work.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Much to think upon
                            Many years ago a local butcher used to make and sell 'head cheese' which as I'd long liked brawn I looked forward to getting. BSE knocked it on the head so to speak as it used proscribed body parts.
                            I also thought of onion jam in relation to the chorizo jam. There's also bacon jam.
                            The term Mac'n' Cheese always reminds me of the rubbery(and tasteless) nature of popular American cheeses.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Many years ago a local butcher used to make and sell 'head cheese' which as I'd long liked brawn I looked forward to getting. BSE knocked it on the head so to speak as it used proscribed body parts.
                              I also thought of onion jam in relation to the chorizo jam. There's also bacon jam.
                              The term Mac'n' Cheese always reminds me of the rubbery(and tasteless) nature of popular American cheeses.
                              Then of course Lemon Cheese has been around for a long time.

The Lemon Curd Mystery!It is something of a mystery, as, according to the Trading Standards Office, Schedule 1 of Jam and Similar Products (England) Regulations 2004, there are legally no compositional differences between lemon curd and lemon cheese, but, if that is so, why are there two names? And why do…

Comment

• greenilex
                                • Nov 2010

Funnily enough, when something is described as cheesey I usually like it...

Comment

Working...
                                X