Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    my point - usage, evolution etc
    I think I covered that with: "I am well aware of the evolution of language and how, as new uses come in, they get to be accepted."

But I will labour the point no more.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Apologies if we've covered this before, but when did 'Not at any price' change from being 'It's not for sale' (i.e., no price would be sufficiently high for the value I put on whatever it is) to more like 'Not without compromises on both sides' (e.g., Mrs von der Leyen said [that] the EU wanted a deal, "but not at any price"), as we keep hearing about the Brexit negotiations?
      (Or is this really a Pedants' Paradise question, even though it's a phrase that sets my teeth on edge?)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Boilk
        A more recent arrival (possibly from the USA) that bugs me is: "And here's the thing..." used as a preposition to add gravitas to something that the speaker deems to be important.
        To which a suggested reply after a meaningful pause could be, "Sorry, where's the thing?"

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          To which a suggested reply after a meaningful pause could be, "Sorry, where's the thing?"
          You mean you can’t remember where you put it or even what the thing was!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

This irritant must have been mentioned before but here's another thing about "thing":

You often hear: "The thing is is that ...." Why the double "is"?

Comment

• Boilk
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              This irritant must have been mentioned before but here's another thing about "thing":

That double "is" is [sic] very common on US television.

I guess it's already been mentioned above on this thread, but usage of "off of" is becoming near ubiquitous to the point of a solitary "off" being limited almost to appearing after impolite four-letter words! In the last week I've had to bite my lip upon hearing: "passengers getting off of the train are reminded..." and "profiteering off of the Covid pandemic".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Yes, canvassed by self & others in this post & following:

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                "The reason being is that......"
                Must be the most widespread low-level irritant in the language for me and (as jean pointed out back then) the thing is is is is is is that this particularly annoying ship has well and truly sailed into common parlance

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                  That double "is" is [sic] very common on US television.

I guess it's already been mentioned above on this thread, but usage of "off of" is becoming near ubiquitous to the point of a solitary "off" being limited almost to appearing after impolite four-letter words! In the last week I've had to bite my lip upon hearing: "passengers getting off of the train are reminded..." and "profiteering off of the Covid pandemic".
                  "Off of" is an idiom (probably American sourced) so not really reducible to a literal meaning or an accusation of redundancy. A figure of speech, a sound, usually in the mouths and sometimes the writings of its users. ​It is what it is . (Now there's a phrase ripe with layers to peel....)

I often use ​it myself, on here...... for no better reason than enjoying the sound or the feel of it, as so often....

I got off of the train has a nice lilt to the rhythm... a little kick in the middle.....

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I would recite poems in seminars and so on...... but I often felt, even reading alone, that you couldn't really get a poem unless you heard it, heard its music in the air. So I guess that's a big factor for me too.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    "Off of" is an idiom (probably American sourced)
                    I think "off of" might be something that sounds American but is actually an older British usage which has been preserved in North American English.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                      I guess it's already been mentioned above on this thread, but usage of "off of" is becoming near ubiquitous
                      I suppose one could say that it was not current usage, but it is now. I always thought it was originally dialectal - just as I noticed when living in Scotland that people said 'even although' where I would have said 'even though'. I wonder what the difference is between the grammarians' 'standard English' and 'current usage'? There are dialect forms and linguistic social markers which are simply ways of describing differing ways of using language. We have yet to found an Académie anglaise to rule on what we should be saying.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        I think "off of" might be something that sounds American but is actually an older British usage which has been preserved in North American English.
                        It's a dialect thing(!) in these parts although more closely rendered as "offa" in terms of pronunciation by the native speakers. It wasn't until I heard some of my 'bilingual' friends saying "off of" that I made the connection.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

It can sometimes be a stalling tactic while the point to be made is being put together in the speaker's head.

Comment

• Triforium
                            • Nov 2010

Well, this is it, isn't it....

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Triforium View Post
                              Well, this is it, isn't it....
                              This is what we find, as Ian Dury had it.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                This is what we find, as Ian Dury had it.
                                Or "What we find is this . . . ", as the DNA variant has it.

Comment

Working...
                                X