Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

“To double down”

What does it even mean? It replaces “to redouble one’s efforts”... but what does the phrase itself actually mean? Where does it come from?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
      “To double down”

What does it even mean? It replaces “to redouble one’s efforts”... but what does the phrase itself actually mean? Where does it come from?
      "to double the original bid in blackjack in exchange for only one more card". According to Webster it first appeared in 1949.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        "to double the original bid in blackjack in exchange for only one more card". According to Webster it first appeared in 1949.
        ...and there was I thinking it was an advert for a winter duvet!

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

“To double down”

What does 'redouble' mean anyway? Shoudn't it mean '4 times?' People don't say 'double' one's efforts.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            ...and there was I thinking it was an advert for a winter duvet!
            That reminds me, must look out for a decent one at a sensible price. Eider may come at a premium but it's worth it. A mere £6,000 for winter double.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
              What does 'redouble' mean anyway? Shoudn't it mean '4 times?' People don't say 'double' one's efforts.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

“To double down”

What does it even mean?
                The way it's used in the US/Trumpworld, it just seems to mean not backing down when you've made some dodgy claim and have been challenged on its veracity. Maybe the idea that you're taking a risk by trying to fool people with an untruth in the first place, but then you just say it again - louder.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The way it's used in the US/Trumpworld, it just seems to mean not backing down when you've made some dodgy claim and have been challenged on its veracity. Maybe the idea that you're taking a risk by trying to fool people with an untruth in the first place, but then you just say it again - louder.
                  Indeed. But I do think that's related to its original usage in card play - where making a dodgy claim with sufficient confidence can have a major effect on the game. I speak as someone quite unsuited temperamentally to most kinds of competitive activity, so not from personal experience!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Indeed. But I do think that's related to its original usage in card play - where making a dodgy claim with sufficient confidence can have a major effect on the game. I speak as someone quite unsuited temperamentally to most kinds of competitive activity, so not from personal experience!
                    Yes, that makes sense. My current Meh phrase in certain contexts is "Be aware that … " I walked past the local surgey which had a notice on the gate: "Be aware that the surgery is closed today." Why not just: "The surgery is closed today"? Perhaps adding, to be a bit more helpful: "Open again tomorrow at 8.30am on the dot. Do not enter unless you have an appointment. And wear a face mask" .
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

"Double down".......from the Cambridge entry, covers contemporary usage well......

mainly US

to continue to do something in an even more determined way than before:

Expect to see Fox double down on its marketing efforts to give the movie a big boost.
                      Instead of learning from his mistakes, he's doubling down.

More examples

We're doubling down; we're going to keep on going because we've committed too much to stop.
                      Why double down on these disastrous policies?
                      Development agencies should double down on efforts to encourage saving and investments in small businesses.

As Bryn said, its a gambling term describing an increasingly risky bet in blackjack, but could easily apply (metaphorically) to various Poker manoeuvres too.
                      Then consider its relative, "double or quits"......

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                        I wondered that. It turns out that “redouble” has a useage in railway terms, where a line is doubled, ( so that you have one line in each direction) and the redoubled to provide a fast and a slow line in each direction.

( At least I think that is what they mean by it. Seems logical )
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I wondered that. It turns out that “redouble” has a useage in railway terms, where a line is doubled, ( so that you have one line in each direction) and the redoubled to provide a fast and a slow line in each direction.

( At least I think that is what they mean by it. Seems logical )
                          https://grammarist.com/usage/double-redouble/

In other words, "redouble" has always been broadly metaphorical; whereas "double" is more likely to be used with some degree of precision, though you will also read or hear someone describing "doubling their efforts" or China's economy "doubling in size" in a very similar way - either to mean "approximately doubling" or simply becoming much larger. So over time and in the continuously evolving habits of usage, the two terms have become very close.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            https://grammarist.com/usage/double-redouble/

In other words, "redouble" has always been broadly metaphorical; whereas "double" is more likely to be used with some degree of precision, though you will also read or hear someone describing "doubling their efforts" or China's economy "doubling in size" in a very similar way - simply to mean becoming much larger. So over time and in the continuously evolving habits of usage, the two terms have become very close.
                            Release funds to redouble the entire railway between Salisbury and Exeter. The singling of this route in the 1960's was short sighted and has handicapped future growth on the line ever since. Redoubling will allow the runnning of extra services such as limited stop services to London and also freight. Extra destinations to be added such as Exeter to Weymouth, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and Brighton. The long sections of single track also mean that the services are dictated by the infrastructure rather than public demand. Redoubling will eliminate the need for services from Waterloo to terminate at Yeovil Junction when the route is used as a diversionary route by Paddington trains. Services will also no longer have to wait for up to ten minutes in a passing loop waiting for a service in the opposite direction, drasticaly reducing overall journey times and at a fraction of the cost of HS2 this would also be value for money.

It seems that the 156 ( !!!) people who signed the petition to redouble the Salisbury to Exeter line failed in their attempt.
                            I guess they will have to redouble their efforts........
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/7849

It seems that the 156 ( !!!) people who signed the petition to redouble the Salisbury to Exeter line failed in their attempt.
                              I guess they will have to redouble their efforts........
                              Well they won't be drooling over it.....(where on earth did that come from...?

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                Well they won't be drooling over it.....(where on earth did that come from...?
                                I did wonder !!

Comment

Working...
                                X