Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seabright
    • Jan 2013

I was channel hopping like the way one does and like I came across on ITV2 a programme called like "Love Island" at 9pm in which nubile females like chat with muscular guys and like try to hook up with them like ... But since a sample is available like on You Tube, here is a verbatim transcript like of one of the girls's opening sentences ... "You literally were like - do you think the way that you made it seem very like, I already had my decision made and like ..." etc. etc. The rest was like incoherent babble but if you want to like make out the rest of it like, please do by clicking this link, and count up the number of "likes" ... ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Like, how pathetic is that.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by seabright View Post
      I was channel hopping like the way one does and like I came across on ITV2 a programme called like "Love Island" at 9pm in which nubile females like chat with muscular guys and like try to hook up with them like ... But since a sample is available like on You Tube, here is a verbatim transcript like of one of the girls's opening sentences ... "You literally were like - do you think the way that you made it seem very like, I already had my decision made and like ..." etc. etc. The rest was like incoherent babble but if you want to like make out the rest of it like, please do by clicking this link, and count up the number of "likes" ... ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Sounds like an interview with the average Premier League footballer. I'm proud to say that the above are the first uttered on Love Island that I have actually read, and they'll certainly suffice for a considerable time to come (like 'ever', know what I mean?)

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seabright View Post
        Once upon a time

Couldn't quite make out from this whether it started as American Sloane and progressed to American Essex girl? And then reached American television shows.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

An item on the BBC News website includes a list of 'useful explainers' - i.e. a guide to the latest rules issued by the TITs* (Twits Issuing Tweets) that pass for a government these days.
          *Not to be confused with Trotters Independent Traders.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

"Working tirelessly"
            Once upon a time it might have meant something, but ever since PM Johnson/Cummings took to spouting it as a defensive lie it has ceased to have any meaning. Unfortunately it has passed into lazy journalism and management/spokesman speak. It then taints and devalues situations where people have indeed worked hard.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              "Working tirelessly"
              One of those spin phrases that get repeated over and over again, the PR wonks believing that the mesage will then enter our consciousness(es).

'Puttting our arms around the country....'

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                One of those spin phrases that get repeated over and over again, the PR wonks believing that the mesage will then enter our consciousness(es).

'Puttting our arms around the country....'
                i think that Mr Sunak has lately been putting alms around the country - well was, now he seems to want them back! As for working tirelessly - is that a bit of a contradiction - if they are not tiring then they can't be working very hard - or maybe that's just an age thing!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  ...putting alms around the country...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    "Working tirelessly"
                    Once upon a time it might have meant something, but ever since PM Johnson/Cummings took to spouting it as a defensive lie it has ceased to have any meaning. Unfortunately it has passed into lazy journalism and management/spokesman speak. It then taints and devalues situations where people have indeed worked hard.
                    But they then become hard-working families.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

The tag "that you love" added to the end of a phrase to tell you the way you feel about whatever it is that they're pushing: BBC 'the programmes that you love', 'the music that you love', or just 'the things that you love', probably 'the gadgets that you love', 'the potatoes that you love', 'the paper clips that you love', 'the lumps of coal that you love'. Apart from anything, it takes it for granted that everyone reading/listening loves these things. I feel an instant distaste for them.

[Just hit the Google search 'Store' button to see what it did: "ENTERTAINMENT THAT YOU LOVE. Blooming Chromecast with Google TV.")

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        The tag "that you love" added to the end of a phrase to tell you the way you feel about whatever it is that they're pushing: BBC 'the programmes that you love', 'the music that you love', or just 'the things that you love', probably 'the gadgets that you love', 'the potatoes that you love', 'the paper clips that you love', 'the lumps of coal that you love'. Apart from anything, it takes it for granted that everyone reading/listening loves these things. I feel an instant distaste for them.

[Just hit the Google search 'Store' button to see what it did: "ENTERTAINMENT THAT YOU LOVE. Blooming Chromecast with Google TV.")
                        Yes Radio Cornwall have been saying they ‘play the music you love’ and they haven’t done it yet - perhaps they didn’t mean me!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Boilk
                          Conversely, one of the Daily Mail's evergreen front-page tags added before something they think their readers really shouldn't like is "Fury As..." or "Fury At..."
                          Sometimes the exact source of the alleged fury is conspicuous by its absence.
                          In my newspaper subbing days the editor tried to ban the headline word 'fury' - very popular with subs as in lower case it only counts as three characters, f and r being equal to one en so it left room for more words. Another good word was rift - only two characters. But when 'fury' can serve for anything from a mild complaint to homicidal rage it does tend to get overused.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Boilk
                            Conversely, one of the Daily Mail's evergreen front-page tags added before something they think their readers really shouldn't like is "Fury As..." or "Fury At..."
                            Sometimes the exact source of the alleged fury is conspicuous by its absence.

DAME JENNI MURRAY: For me, there were no hugs, only a few tears and I simply walked away from the sometimes suffocating embrace of Auntie, with whom I had spent nearly 50 years of my life...

Another interesting article on where the BBC is as Jenni Murray leaves Woman’s Hour!
                            Last edited by cloughie; 03-10-20, 21:33.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              The tag "that you love" added to the end of a phrase to tell you the way you feel about whatever it is that they're pushing...
                              Compare and contrast the prime minister's [lower case intentional] habitual phrase 'What the British people want'....

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Britbox will 'remain in the net investment phase' for a few more years, i.e. it will continue to lose millions.

Comment

Working...
                                X