Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Does "reached out to" not go a little further and suggest contact with the hope of a positive response?
    "Reaching out to you, Signed, Yours, in hope."

(Not sure that the original example included the government. It was all I could think of on the spur of the moment))
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I wonder why the Americans stuck to "sergeant" as in "are", while keeping to the older pronunciation for clerk, Berkeley etc. No doubt Webster had a role to play.

The older, now anomalous spelling, is more likely to be retained in place names, I suppose, as in Derby. For some reason "clerk" kept the old spelling, whereas most of the time otherwise the spelling changed to the new pronunciation eg, derk>dark, fer>far. With reference to the latter it is interesting to note the unshifted vowels which are still there in cognate forms in other Germanic languages:

eg German: fern/far, Stern/star, Herz/heart, sterben/starve, merken/mark etc
      As a general rule words that were well established by 1400 did not change. Thus place names tended to preserve both spelling and pronunciation - though there are exceptions, as anyone from (say) Berkhamstead will attest. An interesting case is Merchant, where the surname has usually become Marchant (new spelling, old pronunciation) and the trade kept the old spelling but the new pronunciation.

I don't know much about German, but I believe that modern German derives mainly from High German (the language of the Alpine areas). One thing that happened in High German was the tendency to pronounce T in a lisping fashion, thus changing the Dutch, Frisian, English Low German "voet/foot" to "fuss", "water" to "wasser", and "eten/eat" to "essen". That's part of the Great Vowel Shift too, even though it concerns consonants.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Interesting. Coronel is the Spanish and Portuguese word. ...
        It certainly entered English at the time of the Civil War and Dutch Wars, so there's an obvious Spanish connexion with the Netherlands.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Does "reached out to" not go a little further and suggest contact with the hope of a positive response?
          My daughter brought this expression back from a few years working and living in the US, and still uses it. I have interpreted it somewhat as above, but perhaps also 'with goodwill', or even 'with positive intent' - 'Sandra's been having a hard time, so I reached out to her'.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Panini. E.g. on a menu: panini with ham and cheese. So do you get two?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              'Sandra's been having a hard time, so I reached out to her'.
              That's precisely the meaning I understood it to have. But finally found someone else (in the D Telegraph ) back in 2015 who has spotted the same trend as me:

'This week a real estate agent came to my doorstep and said “Hi, I’m reaching out to you today to see if you’d be interested in a free appraisal of your home.” Because in the seemingly never ending litany of stupid business phrases with little or no actual meaning, now comes what I believe could be the most irritating of all — “reaching out’’.'
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

That's precisely the meaning I understood it to have. But finally found someone else (in the D Telegraph ) back in 2015 who has spotted the same trend as me:

'This week a real estate agent came to my doorstep and said “Hi, I’m reaching out to you today to see if you’d be interested in a free appraisal of your home.” Because in the seemingly never ending litany of stupid business phrases with little or no actual meaning, now comes what I believe could be the most irritating of all — “reaching out’’.'
                I suppose now one could say "Well don't. Keep your distance."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

The noun "outreach", not part of my active vocabulary, has also become an annoyingly pervasive buzzword.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    I suppose now one could say "Well don't. Keep your distance."
                    Or "Only if your arms are the required 1 metre long".

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I checked this out, and it turned out that " Reach Out" is very popular . In fact it is one of the Four Top phrases of the year.

Anyway, since we are on the subject, I find it is quite a useful phrase in business emails. Not my favourite ever expression, but sometimes more appropriate than " contact".
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        I checked this out, and it turned out that " Reach Out" is very popular . In fact it is one of the Four Top phrases of the year.

Anyway, since we are on the subject, I find it is quite a useful phrase in business emails. Not my favourite ever expression, but sometimes more appropriate than " contact".
                        Holland–Dozier–Holland to you too!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Boilk
                          This seems the appropriate thread to point out that it should be:

who has spotted the same trend as I [...have spotted]
                          I think that that might be the pedants' thread. If I had included the verb, I would have used I, but since I didn't (include the verb), I didn't (use I).

"as me or as I: when no verb follows it [as] can be interpreted either as a preposition or as a conjunction. … In conversation and informal writing the second pattern is standard…"

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Holland–Dozier–Holland to you too!
                            Bacharach and David liked it too.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Bacharach and David liked it too.

https://youtu.be/c3tIlHOQemU
                              As did the Four Tops: Reach Out (Reach Out For Me) in 1967.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                I checked this out, and it turned out that " Reach Out" is very popular . In fact it is one of the Four Top phrases of the year..
                                My mother bought that record when she was about 60.

Comment

Working...
                                X