Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    ....Surely one arrives at one's destination?
    Though often a train will arrive 'at', say, King's Cross - but wait just outside the station for a signal to change. Once that happens, you are safely 'into' your destinatiion station!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

That all takes me back to the late 1950s, when I was encouraged to concentrate on modern languages because I was rubbish at science subjects (except biology for some reason).
      Surely one arrives at one's destination?
      Famous last words?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Though often a train will arrive 'at', say, King's Cross - but wait just outside the station for a signal to change. Once that happens, you are safely 'into' your destinatiion station!
        But surely once you're into it, you're right in it!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Comforting to learn, from Priti Patel, that the government is 'surging capacity', especially as she doesn't really seem to believe that there are any Covid testing problems.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Comforting to learn, from Priti Patel, that the government is 'surging capacity', especially as she doesn't really seem to believe that there are any Covid testing problems.
            Just about anything that emerges from that lady's mouth would seem to warrant the description implicit in this thread topic...

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

While looking for the context of that I came across this

I got to the bottom of the page before realising it was USA...the PHE.gov had me fooled.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I noticed Georgia Mann pronouncing “lieutenant” the American way on this morning’s Breakfast. It does seem to be one of the more sensible of US pronunciations.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I noticed Georgia Mann pronouncing “lieutenant” the American way on this morning’s Breakfast. It does seem to be one of the more sensible of US pronunciations.
                  We charge our loo tenant £150 p.w. which I think is very reasonable, as he's not that flush at present.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    The US Army said "leftenant" till the 1890s, even though Noah Webster had banned it.

It came into English in the 1300s from Burgundian French, whose pronunciation was something closer to "leevtenon" with the U pronounced like a V (sort of). But modern French stems from Parisian French,

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

We charge our loo tenant £150 p.w. which I think is very reasonable, as he's not that flush at present.
                      To keep it Covid safe is the loo tenant’s key Jeyes fluid!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Lieutenant is not the only oddity in pronunciation of military ranks: colonel, sergeant.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Lieutenant is not the only oddity in pronunciation of military ranks: colonel, sergeant.
                          True. Colonel entered English twice - once in the 1300s, when it had a L (Latin colonna, through French) and again in the 1600s as coronel. Being unpredictable, English eventually settled on the L spelling, but the R prononciation.

Sergeant is different. The sound "ar" was written "er" until it changed during the Great Vowel Shift (sat 1400=1700). It's why we have places such as Berkshire and Derbyshire, and why we pronounce "clerk" as "clark".

In The Miller's Tale Absalom sticks his "ers" out of the window to be kissed.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                            True. Colonel entered English twice - once in the 1300s, when it had a L (Latin colonna, through French) and again in the 1600s as coronel. Being unpredictable, English eventually settled on the L spelling, but the R prononciation.

Sergeant is different. The sound "ar" was written "er" until it changed during the Great Vowel Shift (sat 1400=1700). It's why we have places such as Berkshire and Derbyshire, and why we pronounce "clerk" as "clark".

In The Miller's Tale Absalom sticks his "ers" out of the window to be kissed.
                            I wonder why the Americans stuck to "sergeant" as in "are", while keeping to the older pronunciation for clerk, Berkeley etc. No doubt Webster had a role to play.

The older, now anomalous spelling, is more likely to be retained in place names, I suppose, as in Derby. For some reason "clerk" kept the old spelling, whereas most of the time otherwise the spelling changed to the new pronunciation eg, derk>dark, fer>far. With reference to the latter it is interesting to note the unshifted vowels which are still there in cognate forms in other Germanic languages:

eg German: fern/far, Stern/star, Herz/heart, sterben/starve, merken/mark etc

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              Colonel entered English twice - once in the 1300s, when it had a L (Latin colonna, through French) and again in the 1600s as coronel.
                              Interesting. Coronel is the Spanish and Portuguese word.

My harrumph phrase is 'reach out to' when it doesn't mean anything more than 'contact'. "We have reached out to the government for a response." I've seen that a couple of times lately.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Interesting. Coronel is the Spanish and Portuguese word.

My harrumph phrase is 'reach out to' when it doesn't mean anything more than 'contact'. "We have reached out to the government for a response." I've seen that a couple of times lately.
                                Does "reached out to" not go a little further and suggest contact with the hope of a positive response?

Comment

Working...
                                X