Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Still don’t buy it - perhaps we need a forum referendum!
    Hello, I am doing research on local referendum politics in a particular country, and I now need to make a final decision of the most important issue: whether to use "referendums" or "referenda." I would appreciate your input on which form is correct or most proper. I tend to prefer...

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Some decades ago, I worked as a technical editor for a company called Technical Indexes.
      But wouldn't that be right if they produced lots of printed material at the backs of their books?
      Or were they doing lots of stock market index analyses?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Well that looks decisive - not!

I say referenda
        And you say referendums
        Referenda, referendums, referenda, referendums
        Let’s call the whole thing votes!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          But wouldn't that be right if they produced lots of printed material at the backs of their books?
          Or were they doing lots of stock market index analyses?
          Part of "IHS Markit", they did neither. In those days, they published regularly updated catalogues of a wide range of equipment and other products used in various industries. They were slowly moving from printed copy to CDROM and thence to online subscription. As an aside, when I started, their product was required to be written in American English. After a few months, they decided to launch a new product, this time in British English. Oh, what fun! In the latter product, one role I had was that of correcting others' use of American spelling.
          Last edited by Bryn; 17-08-20, 12:41. Reason: Typos as 'blue penciled'.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

...and I bet the agenda for the day is, not are!

Caesar adsum iam forte sed Brutus passus sum.
            Was it Pompey or Brutus who aderat?

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Plebiscite: ask the plebs. Referendum: ask the ref?

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Plebiscite: ask the plebs. Referendum: ask the ref?
                But the plebs will not be offered VAR!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Still don’t buy it - perhaps we need a forum referendum!
                  I know there are those who refer to fora, but I agree with the quote in the link Bryn gave: people who know these are 'Latin words' insist on giving them a Latin plural. Just as they will use "Brava!" and "Bravi!" which shows they know the Italian plurals.

It may be a matter of personality? I "prefer" the explanation that words which have passed into common usage in English become English words, and if there is a frequently used English form, that is what I use. I say forums, referendums, agendas, 'bravo girls!'. I would consciously avoid fora, Bravi!, and would say 'an agenda'. But others may choose whichever forms suit them. I shall judge them, just as I'm sure they will judge me
                  Not something to argue about, but all right to ask if one is unsure …
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I know there are those who refer to fora, but I agree with the quote in the link Bryn gave: people who know these are 'Latin words' insist on giving them a Latin plural. Just as they will use "Brava!" and "Bravi!" which shows they know the Italian plurals.

It may be a matter of personality? I "prefer" the explanation that words which have passed into common usage in English become English words, and if there is a frequently used English form, that is what I use. I say forums, referendums, agendas, 'bravo girls!'. I would consciously avoid fora, Bravi!, and would say 'an agenda'. But others may choose whichever forms suit them. I shall judge them, just as I'm sure they will judge me
                    Not something to argue about, but all right to ask if one is unsure
                    And I've just learned (or learnt) something: I would have written alright, but apparently that would have been all wrong!
                    I found this:
                    The form alright is a one-word spelling of the phrase all right that made its first appearance in the 1880s. Alright is commonly used in written dialogue and informal writing, but all right is the only acceptable form in edited writing. Basically, it is not all right to use alright in standard English.

(Apologies again for hijacking the thread: this time, this should be on Pedants' Paradise, I suppose. )

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Your answers were all right. (100% correct).
                      Your answers were alright. (Adequate, ie not 100% correct).

Hope that's all right, alright?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Your answers were all right. (100% correct).
                        Your answers were alright. (Adequate, ie not 100% correct).

Hope that's all right, alright?
                        That's perhaps a nice distinction that I've been (subliminally?) aware of.
                        It's certainly OK by me.

Comment

• LezLee
                          • Apr 2019

Completely agree.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

While I understand and share the anger and frustration felt by many students, I'm not too keen on 'classist' - an adjective, new to me, applied to the now-infamous Ofqual logarithm.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              While I understand and share the anger and frustration felt by many students, I'm not too keen on 'classist' - an adjective, new to me, applied to the now-infamous Ofqual logarithm.
                              I suppose 'inequitable' is too long a word (and harder to pronounce and spell...) but since it could be used as a blanket term to cover all the criticisms of the exam results fudge that shouldn't be a reason not to use it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                I suppose 'inequitable' is too long a word (and harder to pronounce and spell...) but since it could be used as a blanket term to cover all the criticisms of the exam results fudge that shouldn't be a reason not to use it.
                                Whereas equanimitous - a word difficult to pronounce which I often use, and which, to me, means feeling even-minded about things that others may get upset over - apparently doesn't exist as a word, according to whichever dictionary one looks in!

Comment

Working...
                                X