Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

'Earnt' dives me mad! There's no logical reason for it. 'Learnt' is to differentiate it from 'learn-ed' - a different meaning. 'Earned' has only one meaning.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
      'Earnt' dives me mad! There's no logical reason for it. 'Learnt' is to differentiate it from 'learn-ed' - a different meaning. 'Earned' has only one meaning.
      What the Dickens are you on about. It was good enough for that Charlie. Otherwise, however, it is pretty much an American aberration.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Otherwise, however, it is pretty much an American aberration.
        And where does the increasingly frequent 'lead' (as the past tense of 'to lead') come from? Other than an aberrant analogy with 'to read/read' and the homophone lead=plumbum.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

On the contrary, I take pleasure in those verbs where you have a choice between between the t or ed past participle. Similar cases occur with learn, spell, burn, dream, smell. Surely not relevant to apply logic to linguistic morphology. I was a language teacher in my working life and these regularities and anomalies were bread and butter to me and a source of ongoing curiosity. See Steven Pinker "Words and Rules" - an illuminating study of irregular verbs - perhaps admittedly a niche area of interest.

I think I say "earnt" mostly but "earned" may well pass my lips.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            On the contrary, I take pleasure in those verbs where you have a choice between between the t or ed past participle. Similar cases occur with learn, spell, burn, dream, smell. Surely not relevant to apply logic to linguistic morphology. I was a language teacher in my working life and these regularities and anomalies were bread and butter to me and a source of ongoing curiosity. See Steven Pinker "Words and Rules" - an illuminating study of irregular verbs - perhaps admittedly a niche area of interest.

I think I say "earnt" mostly but "earned" may well pass my lips.
            I think the dental nasal n makes the difference between earnt/earned, burnt/burned, learnt/learned negligible when spoken, whereas spelt/spelled and smelt/smelled do need a little more effort to differentiate. Is that true? And dreamed/dreamt are genuine alternatives.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              A learned reply, g.

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

'Red sky at night, shepherds' delight' really irritates me. In Liverpool (and maybe other ports), it was always 'Sailors' delight'. Caused many an argument when I moved to Sheffield.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Boilk
                  I think the saying is traditionally shepherd's not shepherds'
                  Or maybe sailors with no apostrophe (so delight is a verb form), though this article uses both sailors and sailors'.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

'Red sky at night, shepherds' delight' really irritates me. In Liverpool (and maybe other ports), it was always 'Sailors' delight'. Caused many an argument when I moved to Sheffield.
                    Probably because Sheffield is closer to the moors where sheep roam than it is to the sea. As a native of South Yorkshire it was always shepherds!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Boilk
                      I think the saying is traditionally shepherd's not shepherds'
                      That’s splitting hairs a little - as there may well be more than one shepherd!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Or maybe sailors with no apostrophe (so delight is a verb form), though this article uses both sailors and sailors'.
                        Met Office has shepherd's and sailor's. Being a rural child, I learnt 'shepherd's'. Either way, it seems to be true, in the UK at least.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Met Office has shepherd's and sailor's. Being a rural child, I learnt 'shepherd's'. Either way, it seems to be true, in the UK at least.
                          They too, however, give plural sailors their say (or an imperative exhortation!):

The concept of "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning" first appears in the Bible in the book of Matthew. It is an old weather saying often used at sunrise and sunset to signify the changing sky and was originally known to help the shepherds prepare for the next day's weather.

Despite there being global variations in this saying such as "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors warning", the scientific understanding behind such occurrences remains the same.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

They too, however, give plural sailors their say (or an imperative exhortation!):

The concept of "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning" first appears in the Bible in the book of Matthew. It is an old weather saying often used at sunrise and sunset to signify the changing sky and was originally known to help the shepherds prepare for the next day's weather.

Despite there being global variations in this saying such as "Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors warning", the scientific understanding behind such occurrences remains the same.
                            The saying is only useful if the weather is incoming from the west - which used to be generally true in both the temperate zones until global warming really got underway - since the brightest sunrises and sunsets are dependent on advancing or retreating high and middle level clouds associated with unsettled weather systems. A clear red sunset indicates cloud is clearing to the west as the day's bad weather moves off to the east, whereas a bright red sunrise is reflecting onto thickening cloud advancing from behind as you gaze at the beautiful sky to the east while yawning and stretching your arms to welcome the new day. Weather systems advancing from north and south confuse the picture somewhat; and in the tropics bad weather systems often approach from the east, so the "rule" can't apply there.
                            Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 12-08-20, 17:48.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Government minister Edward Argar said that, as leaving lockdown was more difficult than entering it, government messages would inevitably have to be more 'nuanced' - I take it that's politicospeak for 'confusing'.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

The concept of "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning" first appears in the Bible in the book of Matthew.
                                The concept is mentioned rather than the shepherds or sailors:

When it is evening, ye say, It will be
                                fair weather: for the sky is red.

And in the morning, It will be foul
                                weather to day: for the sky is red and
                                lowring.

Comment

Working...
                                X