Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Or “stay ‘ome” in some parts of the country!
    At least they didn't choose "Remain Indoors"

Subscribe and 🔔 to the BBC 👉 https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSubWatch the BBC first on iPlayer 👉 https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home Comedy sketch show starring David Mi...

Comment

• Andrew
      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      In local government at least, the main driver was to reduce the requirement for office space when many desks sat empty for large parts of the day or whole days. No chance, we headed for the so-called 'paperless office' where all you needed (allegedly) was a powerpoint and screen to plug in the laptop, with no regard whatsoever for its stark impossibility in many jobs
      Our organisation planned to "go paperless" and the reply from many of us, myself included, was "there'll be a paperless toilet before there's a paperless office!" We gave much the same epithet when "digital by default" was mentioned....
      Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        In local government at least, the main driver was to reduce the requirement for office space when many desks sat empty for large parts of the day or whole days. Understandable, but of course the economic argument didn't include loss of staff morale through not having a space of one's own, organised according to one's own work-style. I for one worked best with loads of files, reference works etc within easy reach. No chance, we headed for the so-called 'paperless office' where all you needed (allegedly) was a powerpoint and screen to plug in the laptop, with no regard whatsoever for its stark impossibility in many jobs
        One of our office managers wanted to go paperless. A lovely lady, and good employee, but she failed. But then again, our business is publishing books......of which about 90% are physical copies .
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          Our organisation planned to "go paperless" and the reply from many of us, myself included, was "there'll be a paperless toilet before there's a paperless office!"
          Andrew: you've worried me now. Do you think the recent acute shortage of "Campers' Delight" was some sort of management pilot scheme?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

'ramp up'...............blimey if I hear it again...............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              'ramp up'...............blimey if I hear it again...............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
              Sounds like a young sheepdog.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Weapons Grade.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Weapons Grade.
                  Weaponise....... or, weaponize, even...

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

'Crunch EU meeting'. As Brenda from Bristol said: 'Not ANOTHER one!'

Comment

• LezLee
                      • Apr 2019

My one, your one, these ones, those ones.

Please, no more!

Comment

• Count Boso

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Weapons Grade.
                        I have to say I rather appreciated the description of Trump's tweeting as 'firing off hundreds of rounds of weapons-grade lunacy'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Collateral damage

Apologies if this has already come up: term used in warfare for when a population is blasted to kingdom come along with their homes whenever far-off enemy targets are hit with pinpoint accuracy.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                            My one, your one, these ones, those ones.

Please, no more!
                            I agree; my mother was a teacher, and that irked her much, when seemingly literate TV presenters used any of the aforementioned.

Two things that set my teeth on edge in this regard are

1. "off of" instead of merely "off"

2. The pronunciation of "drawing" as "drawRing"

GRRRRRRR !

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              I agree; my mother was a teacher, and that irked her much, when seemingly literate TV presenters used any of the aforementioned.

Two things that set my teeth on edge in this regard are

1. "off of" instead of merely "off"

2. The pronunciation of "drawing" as "drawRing"

GRRRRRRR !
                              Could of instead of could have, and all too often your and you’re are used wrongly!

A draw ring is used for coupling wagons to trains!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Could of instead of could have, and all too often your and you’re are used wrongly!

A draw ring is used for coupling wagons to trains!
                                I'd forgotten those* two ! I'm sure there are others. (* I use those two, to indicate exactly the two I had forgotten. I stand to be corrected)
                                I'm no engineer, but I've learned a railway term today !

Comment

Working...
                                X