Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Tendring District Council has a very poor recycling rate - 27% - but has been addressing the issue following the establishment of a 'Councillor Task and Finish Group' (?)
    But do they do sub-contract tendring?

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

Years ago a lady from Edinburgh told me that she found her newly acquired Barclaycard useful for messages, which turned out to mean shopping.
      (I'm pleased to see that not everybody believes that the Pilgrim Fathers started their voyage from Plymouth).
      We always said messages for shopping in Liverpool so I was very happy to find it was the same here. There are a few more, especially words for bread and other baked goods. Sheffieldish was like a foreign language!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
        We always said messages for shopping in Liverpool so I was very happy to find it was the same here. There are a few more, especially words for bread and other baked goods. Sheffieldish was like a foreign language!
        The range of different local accents and inflections in the broadly Lancashire/Cheshire region is astounding! No one, ever here down south, can confuse a Liverpool with a Manchester accent. It's sometimes said that towns such as Warrington and Wigan have accents halfway between these two; but within Manchestrer itself there are immediately detectable variations, which are far more noticeable than differences between north, south, east and west Londoners, which in any case are fast being supplanted by so-called "Jafaican". My mum used to chide my dad whenever he would try and imitate "Yorkshire-speak", saying, "That's Lancashire, NOT Yorkshire!" If there is one general big difference between the way Lancashire and Yorkshire folk speak, apart from the cadences and different speech rhythms each side of the border to be found, I would pinpoint the "oo" sound, which in Yorkshire is a very definite "oo", i.e. as Received pronunciation would say "shoe" or "loo" - with a long non-dipthong, and in Lancashire it's more more like "you". So a Yorkshire person tends to say "skool", or even "skoowul" the further north one goes, and a Lancashire person "skule" or "skewall".

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

There are big differences within the counties themselves. North, West and South Yorkshire have very different dialects and accents, particularly Sheffield and Leeds. Liverpudlians can usually pinpoint which area of the city people are from. Absolutely nobody ever sounded like Cilla Black, she really let the side down!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Absolutely nobody ever sounded like Cilla Black, she really let the side down!
            Comedy plastic scouser nonsense IMV

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Z
              Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              The range of different local accents and inflections in the broadly Lancashire/Cheshire region is astounding! No one, ever here down south, can confuse a Liverpool with a Manchester accent. It's sometimes said that towns such as Warrington and Wigan have accents halfway between these two; but within Manchestrer itself there are immediately detectable variations, which are far more noticeable than differences between north, south, east and west Londoners, which in any case are fast being supplanted by so-called "Jafaican". My mum used to chide my dad whenever he would try and imitate "Yorkshire-speak", saying, "That's Lancashire, NOT Yorkshire!" If there is one general big difference between the way Lancashire and Yorkshire folk speak, apart from the cadences and different speech rhythms each side of the border to be found, I would pinpoint the "oo" sound, which in Yorkshire is a very definite "oo", i.e. as Received pronunciation would say "shoe" or "loo" - with a long non-dipthong, and in Lancashire it's more more like "you". So a Yorkshire person tends to say "skool", or even "skoowul" the further north one goes, and a Lancashire person "skule" or "skewall".
              The other difference is the rolled R which is prevalent west of the Pennines and not the east. Within Yorkshire the local differences eg between Sheffield and Barnsley, Baarnsley, much broader than Sheffild, and of course the Hull are where ‘Oh no’ becomes ‘Ur nur’!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Comedy plastic scouser nonsense IMV
                ...and Lennon was not a working class hero!

Comment

• LezLee
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  ...and Lennon was not a working class hero!
                  A friend of mine was at Quarry Bank school with John Lennon, though 2 years below him. Not any sort of hero. I was his contemporary at the girls' school (Calder High) next door.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

A friend of mine was at Quarry Bank school with John Lennon, though 2 years below him. Not any sort of hero. I was his contemporary at the girls' school (Calder High) next door.
                    Love the Beatles but some of the hype was .....

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Sarah Walker has just described the King's Singers recording of 'Scarborough Fair' as iconic - what does this mean, exactly? And what does this make Simon and Garfunkel's recording - iconicer? supericonic? megaiconic?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Sarah Walker has just described the King's Singers recording of 'Scarborough Fair' as iconic - what does this mean, exactly? And what does this make Simon and Garfunkel's recording - iconicer? supericonic? megaiconic?
                        I just avoid the word - not sure it is that meaningful - I’d settle for the King’s Singers version being pretty damn good, S&G’s being excellent, and the Sergio Mendes Brasil ‘66 arrangement and interpretation of it also excellent and interestingly different, Iconic - nah!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Uconic?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Uconic?
                            Only 'After the Gold (disc) Rush' surely?
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              Only 'After the Gold (disc) Rush' surely?
                              And before ‘Harvest’!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                Uconic?
                                Iconic
                                Uconic
                                Sheconics....

(I'll get me coat and thesarus....)

Comment

Working...