Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Re phatic utterance: When I lived in Germany I remember someone once asked me why I kept throwing the word "eigentlich" into my conversation. Its meaning is "actually" and the comment made me realise that my spoken English was peppered with it (coming out as "aksherly" even from the lips of speakers with otherwise punctilious diction) and I was unconsciously transferring it and using it in a way which Germans just don't.

You can often hear something similar from Germans speaking English (eg J. Klopp). They throw in far too many alreadys, because the equivalent "schon" is a very prevalent filler in German speech.
    Slightly relevant - I remember when I used to go on holiday to Austria, I noticed many Austrians finished their sentences with 'oder', as 'innit' is used now or 'isn't it?' in Wales, and 'ken?' in Scotland.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
      Slightly relevant - I remember when I used to go on holiday to Austria, I noticed many Austrians finished their sentences with 'oder', as 'innit' is used now or 'isn't it?' in Wales, and 'ken?' in Scotland.
      Common in Germany, and German-speaking Switzerland too, from memory.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
        Or in S Yorks ‘in’t it’.

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Or in S Yorks ‘in’t it’.
          Indeed. I know Yorks is pretty big, but till I lived in Sheffield I'd no idea how different the lingo is and how different North Yorks is too.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

From a report currently on the BBC News website on the suspension of the Jeremy Kyle Show:
            'Societally, we have a responsibility for why this TV is made....'

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              From a report currently on the BBC News website on the suspension of the Jeremy Kyle Show:
              'Societally, we have a responsibility for why this TV is made....'
              Only a matter of time before someone refers to someone's 'agency' in the context of what happened.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Soon becoming wearing is the word 'moment(s)' liberally spoken in soccer circles - I think Gary Neville started it off and its use has very quickly spread. - Now all commentators and pundits seem to be peppering their conversations with it.

Eg: "You have to take your moments in the game." - "There will soon be a moment that will change the game."

Whilst writing this I've just heard Franck Lampard use "moments" twice already on the radio.

It will get much worse before it gets better!
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 15-05-19, 19:21.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Over-use of the word 'passionately' - especially on CVs.

How can anybody seriously be passionate about efficient filing data systems?!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Given the Latin origins of the word include "suffering" and "disease" ... spreading a virus?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post

If you could still ask my dad, who had Aspergers, he would tell you.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Soon becoming wearing is the word 'moment(s)' liberally spoken in soccer circles - I think Gary Neville started it off and its use has very quickly spread. - Now all commentators and pundits seem to be peppering their conversations with it.

Eg: "You have to take your moments in the game." - "There will soon be a moment that will change the game."

Whilst writing this I've just heard Franck Lampard use "moments" twice already on the radio.

It will get much worse before it gets better!
                        Franck Lampard - Leeds failed to bury Cesar! Who's crying now!
                        Last edited by cloughie; 17-05-19, 07:55.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

'Up-tick' (presumably there's also 'down-tick') - a particularly pretentiousness alternative to 'increase' or 'rise' and 'decrease' or 'fall' respectively.
                          I also weary of the over-use of 'robust' these days. Perhaps the term 'robust defence' could be reserved for altercations outside pubs at the weekend...

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

The use of 'random' seems to becoming ever more random.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

"Shout-out" (n.) seems to have become endemic on R3 suddenly. And so presumably in the rest of the country? If so I'd managed to dodge it!
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                I also weary of the over-use of 'robust' these days. Perhaps the term 'robust defence' could be reserved for altercations outside pubs at the weekend...
                                Having never really thought about the word "robust", I checked its etymology. It comes from the Latin for oak tree - surely quite a vivid image with which to describe someone's defence. I quite like a robust claret but I'm not sure where oak trees come in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X