Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Sneak preview.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

"Not at all" - Radio 4 plays often contain this phrase especially 'The Archers' who pepper conversation with it. Otherwise I rarely hear the phrase it at all.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        "Not at all" - Radio 4 plays often contain this phrase especially 'The Archers' who pepper conversation with it. Otherwise I rarely hear the phrase it at all.
        A phrase I have encountered in many situations throughout my life. For me, it is on a par with "if you can spare it" as a response to the offer of a cup of tea, or somesuch.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          A phrase I have encountered in many situations throughout my life. For me, it is on a par with "if you can spare it" as a response to the offer of a cup of tea, or somesuch.
          Apart from Radio 4 plays I truly can't remember the last time I heard it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Oh I've always thought of "Not at all" being a response to "thank you". I use it in preference to "You're welcome", which seems to be everywhere these days.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Cali, I fear this will already have been picked up by anti-terrorism's word recognition web crawlers, who are even now trawling through your posts and emails....
              The thought occurred even as I was typing it
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                The thought occurred even as I was typing it
                I have Antipodean cousins of a military persuasion who refer in emails to one or other sandpit when referring to their latest deployments you-know-where, though I daresay the censors have "sandpit" in their list of keywords

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  I have Antipodean cousins of a military persuasion who refer in emails to one or other sandpit when referring to their latest deployments you-know-where, though I daresay the censors have "sandpit" in their list of keywords
                  RT : your use of certain keywords here : "Antipodean", "cousins", "military", "persuasion", "sandpit", "deployments", "you-know-where", "censors", "keywords" will immediately mean you are of interest to GCHQ and on their radar / database.

You are probably still "safe" (dangerous word) with "I have", "of a " "who", "to one or other", "though", and "their". Tho' that last has a suspiciously 'other' connotation. Hmm, probably too late...

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Hmm, probably too late...
                    I don't know what that means.

Nor do I know who are the last three persons posting and have never known them, ever.

Signed: John

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      RT : your use of certain keywords here : "Antipodean", "cousins", "military", "persuasion", "sandpit", "deployments", "you-know-where", "censors", "keywords" will immediately mean you are of interest to GCHQ and on their radar / database.

You are probably still "safe" (dangerous word) with "I have", "of a " "who", "to one or other", "though", and "their". Tho' that last has a suspiciously 'other' connotation. Hmm, probably too late...

I am expecting the chattering of helicoter blades, and people in combats and balaclavas abseiling down ropes at any minute. There, that's done it

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Oh I've always thought of "Not at all" being a response to "thank you". I use it in preference to "You're welcome", which seems to be everywhere these days.
                        Someone I knew would usually say 'You're more than welcome', with a kind of extra-sincere tone. Seemed daft to me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Someone I knew would usually say 'You're more than welcome', with a kind of extra-sincere tone. Seemed daft to me.
                          S/he wasn't an Insurance Salesperson by any chance, kb?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            I fear that I've said that several times!
                            Maybe I'll switch to 'You're entirely welcome' or 'You're most welcome' instead.
                            Or even 'Don't mention it!'

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              I fear that I've said that several times!
                              Maybe I'll switch to 'You're entirely welcome' or 'You're most welcome' instead.
                              Or even 'Don't mention it!'
                              Does it need quantifying/qualifying - why not just 'You're welcome'? Following on from #4925, over-egging can lead to suspicions of insincerity.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Does it need quantifying/qualifying - why not just 'You're welcome'? Following on from #4925, over-egging can lead to suspicions of insincerity.
                                You are of course right, and I should have added a !
                                Sometimes the degree of unctuousness in my response is prompted by the tone of what I'm responding to.

Was it Hughie Green who used to say something like: 'And I mean this most sincerely, folks.'?

Comment

Working...
                                X