Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Immigrating into the US sounds less clumsy, wouldn't one say?
    Not totally persuaded - or not enough to be bothered. Was that the point that caused the original setting of teeth on edge?

'Into' reminds me of the standard train announcement nowadays: "We shall shortly be arriving into [Swindon, Bath, Exeter or wherever we shall shortly be arriving into]."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

I liked an announcement on an East Coast train a few years ago:

Solemn voice:
      "Ladies and gentleman, I am pleased to announce the buffet bar is now open"
      "Today's Chef's Special is ............a cheeseburger"
      Long pause: ".a cheeseburger"

Enthusiastic applause from the passengers!

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Not totally persuaded - or not enough to be bothered. Was that the point that caused the original setting of teeth on edge?

'Into' reminds me of the standard train announcement nowadays: "We shall shortly be arriving into [Swindon, Bath, Exeter or wherever we shall shortly be arriving into]."
        Could it be that 'immigrate' is not as frequently used a verb, unlike 'emigrate'.? Thus 'immigrating' to America sounds odd, unlike 'emigrating' to America, though both uses seem fine to me.

Both words do 'grate'.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          Both words do 'grate'.
          Boom, boom, as they say. I think.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            Could it be that 'immigrate' is not as frequently used a verb, unlike 'emigrate'.? Thus 'immigrating' to America sounds odd, unlike 'emigrating' to America, though both uses seem fine to me.

Both words do 'grate'.
            We sem to speak more of immigrants than we do of emigrants. Not that that has anything to do with the presenting matter...

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

We sem to speak more of immigrants than we do of emigrants. Not that that has anything to do with the presenting matter...
              I was suggesting that it did - the perspective of the speaker/writer.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Or is it (presenteeism) merely a form of back conversion/formation (or whatever the technical term is) from absenteeism?
                You can be an absentee but are you ever a presentee?
                I've certainly never seen/heard/used the word.
                Going back to that comment, isn't the whole notion of 'presenteeism' a new one, a newly noted phenomenon? Logical to coin a new term base on absenteeism because it is the exact opposite: presenting yourself for work when you should be taking a few days off to recover from illness, on the model of 'absenting yourself'.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

True, I never ever hear the word emigrants, always immigrants.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    French import émigré is often preferred.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      I was suggesting that it did - the perspective of the speaker/writer.
                      I was just being a teeny-weeny bit ironic, KB. I should have tail-ended with a , or a .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... if you're talking about Ireland or Ethiopia you are perhaps more likely to talk about emigrants; if you talk about England or Australia you are more likely to talk about immigrants. Fifty years ago in Greece the talk wd have been about emigrants; now it is about immigrants.

Comment

• LezLee
                            • Apr 2019

It's an odd situation isn't it? All immigrants are emigrants and vice versa.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... if you're talking about Ireland or Ethiopia you are perhaps more likely to talk about emigrants; if you talk about England or Australia you are more likely to talk about immigrants. Fifty years ago in Greece the talk wd have been about emigrants; now it is about immigrants.

Of course, v, 'emigrant' and 'emigration' are words ingrained in Irish history, if not in the history of many other countries. (Pause for reflection) These words are NOUNS.

But when it comes to VERBS - the original poster referred to 'immigrating' - do you think 'immigrate'/'immigrating' are as commonly used as the respective noun? I feel, not.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                French import émigré is often preferred.
                                Only in the posh parts of London.

Comment

Working...
                                X