Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Were they not called advance orders at one stage?
    I can certainly understand their use in sorting out print runs.
    As far as I am aware, ( and taking account of the fact that I have only been in publishing for about 15 years, and that in order to not be a trade newbie you need to remember the abolition of the Net Book Agreement like it was yesterday ) the almost universal use in the trade , (that is between retailers and publishers) of the term “Subs” has it origins a very long way back. It is still the common term of use. The terms “ Dues” is also used within the trade, but this applies really to orders as they are placed , or that have been placed.
    I’m sure that people do sometimes use the phrase “ advance orders” ( and of course organisations do use individual terminology) but the usual terms in use are as I mentioned.

Perhaps retailers have tended to refer to “ advance orders” when discussing with customers, so as to avoid jargon ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Many years ago, during the summer our local cinema used to show 'pre-release' films, presumably in an effort to entice holidaymakers off the beach or help them fill their evenings.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

TS, I imagine that the term 'subs' may have originated when subscribers (and cf magazine and journal subscribers) contributed to the success of a book by subscribing to it before publication, and they would then have their name printed as a subscriber in the book.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

I've just been reading a report about troubled company Interserve, which apparently has a deleveraging plan.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I've just been reading a report about troubled company Interserve, which apparently has a deleveraging plan.
            'swhat the grocer's daughter tried. Selling the family silver to the family members to cover some of the family debts.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Pre-slit looks better though, I would think, otherwise it could be referring to fanzines for Elvis Presley! I always think hyphens help with such prefixes.
              ..or The Troggs!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                TS, I imagine that the term 'subs' may have originated when subscribers (and cf magazine and journal subscribers) contributed to the success of a book by subscribing to it before publication, and they would then have their name printed as a subscriber in the book.
                Yes, as far as I am aware that is the origin of the use, KB.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  'swhat the grocer's daughter tried. Selling the family silver to the family members to cover some of the family debts.
                  Then I misread it as "deleaver us from evil"!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Then I misread it as "deleaver us from evil"!
                    The other night I woke up in the small hours and found myself listening to a discussion on Radio 5 Live about the FA Cup, concerning in particular how fans should react if their team had been 'giant-killed'.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      The other night I woke up in the small hours and found myself listening to a discussion on Radio 5 Live about the FA Cup, concerning in particular how fans should react if their team had been 'giant-killed'.
                      Surely they’ve been ‘Jacked’.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Surely they’ve been ‘Jacked’.
                        In Ipswich's case, (Stanley) knifed!

Comment

• Boilk
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          I can just about cope with the 'pre' in preheat: before you do anything else, heat the oven or the pan you're going to do the cooking in. Though even there, heat seems to work just as well.
                          But the other uses of 'pre' (such as preorder, prebook), meaning little more than 'before the ordering/booking period officially opens', seem a bit of a marketing ploy stretch of the real sense of the prefix to me.
                          There are plenty of preludes (and some postludes for that matter) but no actual ludes that I've ever come across. Of course, the etymology is from prae (before) + ludere (to play), but I'm surprised no one has titled a piece simply Lude given some of the play-on-word titles there have been (e.g. Babbitt)
                          Last edited by Boilk; 08-01-19, 00:15.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                            ... I'm surprised no one has titled a piece simply Lude given some of the play-on-word titles there have been (e.g. Babbitt)
                            Six Lude Pieces might work.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                              There are plenty of preludes (and some postludes for that matter) but no actual ludes that I've ever come across. Of course, the etymology is from prae (before) + ludere (to play), but I'm surprised no one has titled a piece simply Lude given some of the play-on-word titles there have been (e.g. Babbitt)
                              Half a point for Hindemith Ludus Tonalis??
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... and a possible nother half-point for thissun :

Ludus Dianelis is a 12th century liturgical play composed by various artists and played at the Beauvais Cathedral in France.Source: "Le Jeu de Daniel" - Ludu...

Comment

Working...
                                X