Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    'Executive' was fashionable for a long time - e.g. 'Development of Executive Homes' - but seems to have waned. I'm pretty sure I owned an Executive Briefcase for many years, though, as far as I know, it was never employed to fell purpose
    Of course it was in effect a classist term: sort of 'upwardly mobile' (in a nice way).

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

'...what is...'

As in '...on what is Saint Cecilia's Day' - Petroc closing Breakfast.

Redundant and otiose.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

'...what is...'

As in '...on what is Saint Cecilia's Day' - Petroc closing Breakfast.

Redundant and otiose.
        Petroc hasn't had the best of mornings, has he?

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Petroc hasn't had the best of mornings, has he?
          Indeed. A cross between pick'n'mix, multiple choice and quiz question. "The last few pieces of music were by these three composers - Brahms, Parry, Stanford - can you correctly link the piece with the composer?"
          At least the forthcoming performances of the Parry/Stanford 'The Travelling Companion'(take your pick) got plenty of publicity; let's hope would-be concert-goers check the details of dates and venues before heading out.
          Perhaps there was some sort of mishap in the studio with missing papers/online info, or not enough coffee?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

'Executive' was fashionable for a long time - e.g. 'Development of Executive Homes' - but seems to have waned. I'm pretty sure I owned an Executive Briefcase for many years, though, as far as I know, it was never employed to fell purpose
            In the 70s I saw a pub menu featuring an 'Executive Ploughmans' (the missing apostrophe probably correct too).

Don't think I bought one...
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

'Executive' was fashionable for a long time - e.g. 'Development of Executive Homes' - but seems to have waned.
              I was never quite clear what the special meaning was of an 'Executive Summary'. I copied what people did with all those numbered paragraphs and sub-paragraphs and sub-sub-paragraphs and called them 'Summary'.

I'm pretty sure I owned an Executive Briefcase for many years, though, as far as I know, it was never employed to fell purpose
              I had a smart attaché case. It was leather and was so slim you couldn't get much in it. Just flat papers, no lunch box.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                In the 70s I saw a pub menu featuring an 'Executive Ploughmans' (the missing apostrophe probably correct too).

Don't think I bought one...
                One memorable Ploughmans I had about 25 years ago (many are not memorable) included pickled walnuts, which are possibly an executive notch up market from Branston's, although it was not advertised as such. I even remember where I consumed it - a pub in Wallingford.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Talking of menus, "XXXX three ways" is ubiquitous these days. It's always three, never two or four. It's clearly driven by the "three", not some imperative driven by the food.

I can remember my very first ploughman's, largely because it was in a pub by the Itchen where you could sit and watch the water voles going about their business. Just a simple, warm white cob loaf, butter, huge hunk of cheese and pickled onions. Perfect apart from the beer, which was Watney's Red Barrel - CAMRA was founded the following year.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... as for the name 'Ploughman's Lunch' - it was apparently a 1950s invention of the J Walter Thomson marketing team at their Cheese Bureau (why didn't they call that organisation 'The Cheese Board' ? - an opportunity lost there, I think. Perhaps I shd have had a career in advertising after all... ) -

A triumph of the marketing people, that it has become so accepted that most people think it's a time-out-of-mind 'authentic' term.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... as for the name 'Ploughman's Lunch' - it was apparently a 1950s invention of the J Walter Thomson marketing team at their Cheese Bureau (why didn't they call that organisation 'The Cheese Board' ? - an opportunity lost there, I think. Perhaps I shd have had a career in advertising after all... ) -

A triumph of the marketing people, that it has become so accepted that most people think it's a time-out-of-mind 'authentic' term.

From back in the day, no doubt

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Anybody ever come across a menu offering a " Cricketer's Lunch" ?

Is this a thing ? Saw and indeed had it once, probably 40 years ago, and it was a Ploughman's plus soup.

Not marketed by the MCC though, AFAIK.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          a pub menu featuring an 'Executive Ploughmans' (the missing apostrophe probably correct too).
                          Otherwise it should have been Executive Ploughmen.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

"Renter"

No ! the word is tenant

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              "Renter"

No ! the word is tenant
                              No. A tenant must occupy. A renter need not.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                No. A tenant must occupy. A renter need not.
                                So, it depends how it's being used?

Comment

Working...
                                X