Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "t'Pit"??!! Tha's soft, tha is! We 'ad to use us feet to dig 'ole and bite t'coal from t'earth. t'Bosses 'ud club together to offer a prize of sixpence for whoever got t'most coal up in a year. Billy "golden gums" Ormsthwaite won every year for ten years - an' 'e were dead for four of 'em.

And that's why, in them old days, we'd always keep up morale by reminding ourselves of that wise old saying: The Workers United Will Never Be De-Feeted.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Do they have a ‘Head of Discontent’ also?
      Surely that's Gloria Summers.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

"t'Pit"??!! Tha's soft, tha is! We 'ad to use us feet to dig 'ole and bite t'coal from t'earth. t'Bosses 'ud club together to offer a prize of sixpence for whoever got t'most coal up in a year. Billy "golden gums" Ormsthwaite won every year for ten years - an' 'e were dead for four of 'em.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          "So what bit of XXXXXXX do you not understand?" meaning you're too thick to understand why I'm right.
          You mean as in "So what bit of 'the precision of the absolutely minimum transcendence of the dark is the light itself/the absolutely unconditioned exteriority of existence for the first time/the absolutely facial identity of existence/the proportion of the new creation sans depth/the light itself ex nihilo: the dark itself univocally identified, i.e., not self-identity identity itself equivocally, not the dark itself equivocally, in “self-alienation,” not “self-identity, itself in self-alienation” “released” in and by “otherness,” and “actual other,” “itself,” not the abysmal inversion of the light, the reality of the darkness equivocally, absolute identity equivocally predicated of the self/selfhood equivocally predicated of the dark (the reality of this darkness the other-self-covering of identity which is the identification person-self)' do you not understand?"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            You mean as in "So what bit of 'the precision of the absolutely minimum transcendence of the dark is the light itself/the absolutely unconditioned exteriority of existence for the first time/the absolutely facial identity of existence/the proportion of the new creation sans depth/the light itself ex nihilo: the dark itself univocally identified, i.e., not self-identity identity itself equivocally, not the dark itself equivocally, in “self-alienation,” not “self-identity, itself in self-alienation” “released” in and by “otherness,” and “actual other,” “itself,” not the abysmal inversion of the light, the reality of the darkness equivocally, absolute identity equivocally predicated of the self/selfhood equivocally predicated of the dark (the reality of this darkness the other-self-covering of identity which is the identification person-self)' do you not understand?"
            And that's just the preamble to Lecture 1!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

"'Ods" LUXURY! We 'ad to scrape the mud to make our own bricks and then carry 'em on us shoulders seventeen mile. An' if it weren't raining, t'gaffer'd turn 'osepipe on us.

But we were 'appy.
              'appen.

I was accused many times by a university barmaid in York of "stinking in bed" before lunchtime.

I liked her but being a precious sort in those days it offended my sensibilities.

There was a post punk girl there who had a t-shirt which read "whip me, thrill me, shag me" and she was supposedly just fine for being another woman.

No especial issues here - just difficulties then in general life processing.

(I never got anywhere but hopefully she is a great grandmother now)
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 26-09-18, 11:52.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                No, you're only allowed 7 letters - XXXXXXX
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  No, you're only allowed 7 letters - XXXXXXX
                  OK then - Brexit+

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    OK then - Brexit+
                    Sorry, it does not compute. "+" is a mathematical operator, not a letter.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Sorry, it does not compute. "+" is a mathematical operator, not a letter.
                      "Brexxit" then?

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

Am I alone in thinking that the fact there is no agreed pronunciation of Brexit in itself tells you all you need to know about it. Are you an “eggs” or “eks” person? Breggsit means Breksit?

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          Am I alone in thinking that the fact there is no agreed pronunciation of Brexit in itself tells you all you need to know about it. Are you an “eggs” or “eks” person? Breggsit means Breksit?
                          'You Breksit if you want to. Some of us are not for Breksiting'

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Are we in danger of putting all our eggs in one Breksit?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              "Brexxit" then?
                              Can it take double multiplication though?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Well - isn't it the same with (one of) the root word(s) "Exit"? "Egzit" or "Eksit"?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X