Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

This sort of tweet.

"Bach, Mozart, Schubert & Dvorak star in this gorge concert I was lucky enough to present on a balmy evening in Bucks".... tweeted by a R3 presenter, and delivered to my email inbox just now, like I wanted it.

Edit: Turned it off now. So no more grumpiness needed.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Well politics is about the deployment of power in society, isn't it? My guess is that anyone claiming to be apolitical is most probably not apolitical, but opposed to how politics is conducted, and for whatever reason has not worked out why they are dissatisfied.
      They may be 'dissatisfied' for many reasons which have absolutely nothing to do with politics. Love, Career, Partick Thistle FC, Concert Performance, to mention just a few, all have an uncanny ability to greatly disappoint and dissatisfy!

People like you and I enjoy discussing politics as we have a genuine interest in the subject even though we may vehemently disagree on most things about it. In my experience many people, possibly even a majority, don't share such a keen interest and some declare they are thoroughly bored stiff with it. I suspect members on this forum are not really that much different from the population in general regarding this.

This may seem bewildering to interested people like us who realise that political decisions affect all our lives ... and that bewilderment may be entirely understandable ... but that doesn't make others' comparative and even total lack of interest any less true!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
        They may be 'dissatisfied' for many reasons which have absolutely nothing to do with politics. Love, Career, Partick Thistle FC, Concert Performance, to mention just a few, all have an uncanny ability to greatly disappoint and dissatisfy!

People like you and I enjoy discussing politics as we have a genuine interest in the subject even though we may vehemently disagree on most things about it. In my experience many people, possibly even a majority, don't share such a keen interest and some declare they are thoroughly bored stiff with it. I suspect members on this forum are not really that much different from the population in general regarding this.

This may seem bewildering to interested people like us who realise that political decisions affect all our lives ... and that bewilderment may be entirely understandable ... but that doesn't make others' comparative and even total lack of interest any less true!
        I think many people active on the political right are pretty nonchalant about political apathy because believing that ultimately nothing can be done about the world's problems or not thinking about them until they hit them in the face serves their cynical purposes in gaining and then hanging onto power. Mass passive consumer mobilisation.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

I think many people active on the political right are pretty nonchalant about political apathy because believing that ultimately nothing can be done about the world's problems or not thinking about them until they hit them in the face serves their cynical purposes in gaining and then hanging onto power. Mass passive consumer mobilisation.
          Well, as a thoroughly 'street-wise' young lady once pointed out in court, 'he would say that, wouldn't he ... ?'

However, even if you are right, and there is some mysterious 'mass passive consumer mobilisation' going on, then that surely amply demonstrates that there must be a heck of a lot of apolitical folk around for this to happen ... or some incredibly dumb ones!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

"They are looking very well" when people have a sun tan and they may or may not be very well although what is clear is that they have had a jolly good holiday,

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              "They are looking very well" when people have a sun tan and they may or may not be very well although what is clear is that they have had a jolly good holiday,
              Well at least it's not "They are looking very good", as in "How are you" - "I'm good", rather than "I'm well, thank you".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                Or just browned off!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Or just browned off!
                  (If you watched Countryfile yesterday, you'll have seen that tanning has been brought back to Northants.)
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 10-07-17, 15:43. Reason: Corrected, courtesy ahinton

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    This sort of tweet.

"Bach, Mozart, Schubert & Dvorak star in this gorge concert I was lucky enough to present on a balmy evening in Bucks"
                    I'm no expert but I didn't even know that there were any gorges in Buckinghamshire.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post

You're missing part of the point again; you referred to interest and involvement in politics.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

(If you watched Countryfile yesterday, you'll have seen that tanning has been brought back to Nothants.)
                        As in "Thants but Nothants"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          As in "Thants but Nothants"?
                          Oooo arrr!!

Duly corrected now, thanks!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I'm no expert but I didn't even know that there were any gorges in Buckinghamshire.
                            Cliveden House does overlook a semi-gorge, one half of the river Thames being cliff-sided at that point, and is in Buckinghamshire; and I would say, having visited there, that the stream that runs down into the Thames, to the south of the plateau on which the mansion stands, is definitely in a gorge.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

You're missing part of the point again; you referred to interest and involvement in politics.
                              I'm only going by my dictionary definition. I don't define words, my dictionary does all that sort of clever stuff for me.

So exactly what 'part of the point' has my dictionary missed .. ?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Well at least it's not "They are looking very good", as in "How are you" - "I'm good", rather than "I'm well, thank you".
                                Yes.

(It would be fair to say that throughout my life I have found brevity is best)

Comment

Working...
                                X