Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    What's up with it?
    And thinking about it again (as I have been - all morning :-) ) perhaps it's the fact that it's phrased as a question which, on the one hand, suggests a complacent acceptance that there is nothing to dislike; on the other, like "What is there to dislike about it?", it prompts a critical résumé of what, reasonably, anyone could dislike. Or, alternatively, a resigned, "Oh, never mind." Or, "If you need to ask the question &c". Or, "Sorry, I don't want to have a long debate about it."

In other words, phrased as a question, it assumes a particular answer ( i.e. 'Nothing') which may not correspond with the hearer's point of view. What's not to agree with in that?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

What's up with it?
      What, indeed, like, gives?

"What's not to like?" assumes a particular answer, but by the same token so would "Doesn't it?" or "Isn't it?" or "Don't you think?" etc. etc. which actually carry the implication of "this is what I think", but not posed in such a categorical manner - the rhetorical questioning here is a friendly touch, rather than a challenge. Although there are always those who insist on answering rhetorical questions, aren't there?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Although there are always those who insist on answering rhetorical questions, aren't there?
        Not in my experience.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          And thinking about it again (as I have been - all morning :-) ) perhaps it's the fact that it's phrased as a question which, on the one hand, suggests a complacent acceptance that there is nothing to dislike; on the other, like "What is there to dislike about it?", it prompts a critical résumé of what, reasonably, anyone could dislike. Or, alternatively, a resigned, "Oh, never mind." Or, "If you need to ask the question &c". Or, "Sorry, I don't want to have a long debate about it."

In other words, phrased as a question, it assumes a particular answer ( i.e. 'Nothing') which may not correspond with the hearer's point of view. What's not to agree with in that?
          Yes - I've always taken (and frequently used) the expression as a light-hearted rhetorical question. It's perfectly sound English, unlike the direction ("What's down?" "What's North?") involved in the much older idiom I used.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

What, indeed, like, gives?

"What's not to like?" assumes a particular answer, but by the same token so would "Doesn't it?" or "Isn't it?" or "Don't you think?" etc. etc. which actually carry the implication of "this is what I think", but not posed in such a categorical manner - the rhetorical questioning here is a friendly touch, rather than a challenge. Although there are always those who insist on answering rhetorical questions, aren't there?
            I should read all contributions before posting!

I used to tell students that the most deflating retort to a pompously-expressed rhetorical question would be a literal answer, don'tcherno.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Re difference of passive infinitive usage in German (and presumably also Yiddish), I found the following pairs: (on this site)

He is to be pitied. Er ist zu bemitleiden.
              The book was not to be found. Das Buch war nicht zu finden.
              Surrender is not to be thought of. An Kapitulieren ist nicht zu denken!
              Much remains to be settled. Es bleibt noch viel zu erledigen.
              His behaviour leaves much to be desired. Sein Benehmen lässt viel zu wünschen übrig.

Strangely enough, I can't arrive at a good idiomatic rendition in German of "What's not to like?". Was könnte einem daran nicht gefallen? doesn't trip off the tongue.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Ms Polizzi herself, perhaps...
                Oh, no! I likes Alex Polizzi. She is extremly popular in our ome and she cooks a bit too! What's not to like!
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 18-05-17, 16:10.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

It's perfectly sound English, unlike the direction ("What's down?" "What's North?") involved in the much older idiom I used.
                  This is what I'm doubtful about. In a parallel universe I might (only might) have said:

What is there not to like (about it)? Or

What's not to be liked (about it)?

'What's not to like?' sounds more sort of … North Country to me
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    'What's not to like?' sounds more sort of … North Country to me
                    'ey up!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Was könnte einem daran nicht gefallen? doesn't trip off the tongue.
                      Yiddish is however not just a dialect of German, of course. What I still don't get is how using this phrase can be antisemitic...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Yiddish is however not just a dialect of German, of course. What I still don't get is how using this phrase can be antisemitic...
                        I, too ... I trust someone will finally relieve us of our apparent ignorance.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I think the suggestion was that if we were using the phrase sarcastically it might be antisemitic.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            I think the suggestion was that if we were using the phrase sarcastically it might be antisemitic.
                            Yes I know, but that seems to me a nonsensical suggestion. "It's political correctness gone mad!"

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Yes I know, but that seems to me a nonsensical suggestion. "It's political correctness gone mad!"
                              Quite. I don't get this anti-semitic bit at all...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                Quite. I don't get this anti-semitic bit at all...
                                It seems to have been anti-semantic.

Comment

Working...
                                X