Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Oh dear. I have just spotted ardcarp's post on "Planet Earth II" and can promise faithfully that I hadn't spotted it before posting my one here.

Luckily, there are inverted commas so that is fine. No upset/controversy was intended.

Have we ever discussed brand names that are especially irritating. If not, I'd like to start a conversation about it. Example one: Jimmy Choo.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Have we ever discussed brand names that are especially irritating. If not, I'd like to start a conversation about it. Example one: Jimmy Choo.
      Google! - and doubtless many other pseudo-infantile brand titles for tech products, were I to bother with putting my mind to it.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... what's wrong with it? It's only his name, after all -

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... what's wrong with it? It's only his name, after all -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Choo
          Well, I know, but it is the cockney rhyming style for shoe that bugs me.

There is just something about it that really aggravates.

I would have preferred it if he had changed his name.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... so he has to change his name to suit you!

I fear you are harbouring some kind of racist aversion to the fact that he has a forren name

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

... so he has to change his name to suit you!

I fear you are harbouring some kind of racist aversion to the fact that he has a forren name
              Not at all.

I would have the same issue if the company was called Barry Blue or Sydney Grew so that the product was Barry Blues or Sydney Grews.

However, it is worse because the "ch" and the "sh" are so similar.

Some of the Morrisons stores which were originally Safeway are to be called Safeway again.

A backward step.

Safeway is less homely, more American and - this is the crucial point - makes no sense to me as a name. In what way safe etc and why?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Some of the Morrisons stores which were originally Safeway are to be called Safeway again. This is a backward step. Safeway is less homely, more American and - this is the crucial point - makes no sense to me as a name.

... o lat-lit! Please!!! Not every name has to pander to your pertick'ler fancies...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

... o lat-lit! Please!!! Not every name has to pander to your pertick'ler fancies...
                  When I said me, I meant in the sense of a weathercock. There was an element of generality there.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... well, clearly - from now on all parents before choosing the names of their children - or companies choosing their trading names - had better first check with lat-literal lest they be offending his easily-bruised sensibilities

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

... well, clearly - from now on all parents before choosing the names of their children - or companies choosing their trading names - had better first check with lat-literal lest they be offending his easily-bruised sensibilities
                      According to Wikipedia:

He was born Datuk Chow but uses his middle name Jimmy. He was Choo from very early on but only because it was written incorrectly on his birth certificate.* As for cultural influence, he graduated from Cordwainers Technical College in Hackney (now part of the London College of Fashion) which is not exactly a million miles away from Bow Bells.

(*But was it?)

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... his name is Choo Yeang Keat (Chinese: 周仰杰; pinyin: Zhōu Yǎngjié)

'Datuk' (or Dato' ) is an honorary title : he was awarded his in 2000 by the Sultan of Pahang (Malaysia).

Comment

• alycidon
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          More American words and terms now widely used in the UK are 'shooter' (marksman/woman), 'conversation' (debate/discussion) and 'first responders' (emergency services).

The last one I find particularly baffling as, apart from sounding rather clumsy, it is actually less accurate and revealing than the original, perfectly adequate UK term?
                          I'm surprised to hear you say the last one, Scotty, as here in my Highland village the First Responders are lay people with basic training who respond very quickly to life-threatening conditions whilst waiting for the ambulance to arrive - which is usually twenty minutes minimum as it is out-stationed in the next village down the road. Maybe you don't have this in Glasgow?
                          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Well, no - but the Thread title isn't "Phrases/Words that set our teeth on edge", but the more pertick'ler "your", so if Lats' teeth are set on edge, then ...
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

and - this is the crucial point - makes no sense to me as a name. In what way safe etc and why?
                              Because in earlier days most grocers operated a credit system, and less well-off families took advantage of this and ran up debts. Safeway started off deliberately as a cash-only enterprise, so this was a 'safe way' for them to buy essential goods without getting into debt. The name was their slogan.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Because in earlier days most grocers operated a credit system, and less well-off families took advantage of this and ran up debts. Safeway started off deliberately as a cash-only enterprise, so this was a 'safe way' for them to buy essential goods without getting into debt. The name was their slogan.
                                Ah, didn't know that....and methe son of a Master Grocer.

Good knowledge there FF.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X