Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    A friend of mine is a sculptor
    He has worked alone for many many years in a studio in his back garden, he tends to work at an incredibly "geological" pace BUT his work is truly wonderful
    The "deal" he had with his partner was that he would do all the kitchen tasks while making work and she went out to work for £
    Several years ago he sold a big sculpture to David Bowie
    He went and bought a dishwasher
    Better not tell our esteemèd fhg!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Better not tell our esteemèd fhg!
      He already has!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        He already has!
        Oh, mon Dieu; why has my cal gone?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I haven't got enough crockery: one cereal/soup bowl, one side plate, one dinner plate and a cup and saucer. They're washed and left to drain until the next meal when I use them again Oh, and two glasses, one for red and one for white.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I haven't got enough crockery: one cereal/soup bowl, one side plate, one dinner plate and a cup and saucer. They're washed and left to drain until the next meal when I use them again Oh, and two glasses, one for red and one for white.
            When you have people over for meals, do you share a bit of your plates with them? Or ask them to bring their own?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              A friend of mine is a sculptor
              He has worked alone for many many years in a studio in his back garden, he tends to work at an incredibly "geological" pace BUT his work is truly wonderful
              The "deal" he had with his partner was that he would do all the kitchen tasks while making work and she went out to work for £
              Several years ago he sold a big sculpture to David Bowie
              He went and bought a dishwasher
              He has now made many more extraordinary works
              My wife won't let me near the kitchen because, she says, 'men are completely useless there'

I find such attitudes outrageously old-fashioned, sexist and misandrist but, in the interests of good marital relations, I would certainly never dream of complaining.

Comment

• Daniel
                • Jun 2012

'We are currently experiencing a high level of calls and apologise for the delay in answering your call' ... which seems to me a tooth-botheringly specious translation of, 'If it's not already blindingly obvious, we haven't employed enough people'.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  My wife won't let me near the kitchen because, she says, 'men are completely useless there'

I find such attitudes outrageously old-fashioned, sexist and misandrist but, in the interests of good marital relations, I would certainly never dream of complaining.
                  Has your wife never heard of such luminaries as Marcus Wareing, Michel Roux Jr., Raymond Blanc, Michael Caines (yes, the one with the "s"), or even Jamie Oliver? If so, has her astonishingly sheltered life resuled from your keeping her locked up in the coal cellar?

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                    'We are currently experiencing a high level of calls and apologise for the delay in answering your call' ... which seems to me a tooth-botheringly specious translation of, 'If it's not already blindingly obvious, we haven't employed enough people'.
                    Yes, it's already quite bad enough whenever a pre-recorded voice "apologises" for anything as though it could do so; it's just as bad when another (or in some cases the same) one seeks to persuade the caller that his/her "call is important to us" (although I think that that one's already been covered upthread) - important to "us" what? - pre-recorded voices in general?...

When I actually got one of these recently from a pre-recorded voice stating that "we are currently experiencing and unprecedentedly high volume of calls" I immadiately thought that, had the call instead been answered by a doubtless grossly underpaid call centre staff member in India or the Philippines, the almost equally pre-recorded response (as read from the script provided) would not likely have included any six-syllable words...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Has your wife never heard of such luminaries as Marcus Wareing, Michel Roux Jr., Raymond Blanc, Michael Caines (yes, the one with the "s"), or even Jamie Oliver? If so, has her astonishingly sheltered life resuled from your keeping her locked up in the coal cellar?
                      Dunno about the wife, and I don't have a coal cellar, but I confess that I haven't heard of some of these 'luminaries' either, ahinton.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                        Dunno about the wife...
                        I suspect she's a myth.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          I suspect she's a myth.
                          No - a "Mythyth"
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

"Can take positives"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

"The bad news is, Joey here is going to have to remove your boll cack..."

I've never been able to figure why it is that advertisers make "humorous" adverts.

Seen the first time, they're funny, to some people. (Maybe). The second time, merely amusing. Thereafter - like any repeated joke, as anybody can tell you - more and more irritating on each showing. The above one for an insurance company, which has been showing for so long most of the actors are probably either dead or very old, now has me seizing the remote the moment that presumably famous American actor I've never heard of appears on the doorstep; others have me either rushing out of the room or fantasising what I would do were I to have a brick to hand.
                              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 13-08-16, 11:50. Reason: A u in place of an o

Comment

• Sir Velo
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                                'We are currently experiencing a high level of calls "... .

Usually replaced by the grammatically incorrect "high call volumes"

Comment

Working...
                                X