Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    So - 'bound' and 'headed' - both adjectival past participles.

Wherein any harm?
    No harm at all, I agree. But there are differences between the usages we have before us, if one wants to be picky [sic].

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      I know; that's what my last post is all about!
      ... then you will agree it's the same grammatical form? Your post #2833 seemed to demur - "I don't think so"

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

They're both participles, used adjectivally. To that extent, they appear to be grammatically the same.

The objection of the hidebound costive grammaticopedant to this is that to head is intransitive; we know this because the form he is heading cannot be followed by a direct object (any more than the form he is sitting can).

But (so the argument goes) the verb to be + past participle forms the passive. And intransitive verbs, having no direct object, can't be passive. That's why people throw up their hands in horror at the form he was sat.

Bound is different from headed because the rest of the verb it comes from withered away a long time ago, leaving only this single adjectival form used descriptively.

(I'm just explaining Scotty's objection rather better than he's managed himself - I wouldn't want anyone to think I agreed with it!)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... but why ca'n't past participles be used adjectivally, regardless of their origins in a transitive or intransitive verb?

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

... but why ca'n't past participles be used adjectivally, regardless of their origins in a transitive or intransitive verb?
            And why is(')n't all this in the Pedantry thread when any question of incisors, premolars, canines, molars and wisdoms being set on edge seems long since to have disappeared from the discussion?(!)...

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

They can, and they are. And the further they move from their verbal function, the less anyone minds.

This one, though, hasn't moved very far, and the active form exists alongside it. So some people mind a lot.

What is your opinion of he was sat, may I ask?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... don't mind it at all.

A question of register, I s'pose : I can imagine some of the denizens of the Athenæum raising a worried eyebrow, but as for the rest of us?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

If I were asked :-) I'd say I don't have a judgement, as such, but I imagine that as a (now) dialectal form it probably is a vestige of a largely obsolete usage that was once more widespread. It may even gradually become more generalised again.

OED quote from Ramsbotham's Lancashire Rhymes: At th' eend o' th' day..aw'm sat at whoam.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

That's what I'd say.

It used to turn up regularly on the old Beeb Word of Mouth board, and cause terrible consternation for the reasons I've tried to outline here, for the beneft of anyone who needs them.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I would ask the question 'who sat him?'

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        ..which would raise the additional complication as to whether the action of sitting had been active or passive on the sitter's part, i.e. did the sitter seat him/herself voluntarily or did some else ensure that he/she adopted the sitting position?

If this isn't taking the discussion ever closer to losing will to live territory, it must be driving it towards Pedantry thread territory as I suggested previously; what do you think, FF? The putting of teeth on edge seems some time ago to have vanished into thin air, to be replaced by esoteric dicussions of certain finer points of English grammar and aspects of its history...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          If this isn't taking the discussion ever closer to losing will to live territory, it must be driving it towards Pedantry thread territory as I suggested previously; what do you think, FF? The putting of teeth on edge seems some time ago to have vanished into thin air, to be replaced by esoteric dicussions of certain finer points of English grammar and aspects of its history...
                          The problem, Mr Hinton, is that there is an apparent overlap, with Pedants regularly having their teeth set on edge, or sat on hedge, by incorrect, perceived incorrect, non-standard English-as-she-is-spoke-where-I-live-and-how-I-speak-it, patently wrong, possibly wrong, sporadically-and-here-and-there wrong, peculiar, particular and downright laughable usages.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Yes, that's what I was talking about above when I said people found the transitive/intransitive thing an insuperable obstacle to accepting these uses of the past participle.

Odd perhaps, because on the Pedantry thread a poster recently thought that people had problems with lie/lay because

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            ...One problem is not understanding what transitive and intransitive mean.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

But any discussion of

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              ...The putting of teeth on edge...
                              is no fun at all without

...esoteric dicussions of certain finer points of English grammar and aspects of its history...

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                The problem, Mr Hinton, is that there is an apparent overlap, with Pedants regularly having their teeth set on edge, or sat on hedge, by incorrect, perceived incorrect, non-standard English-as-she-is-spoke-where-I-live-and-how-I-speak-it, patently wrong, possibly wrong, sporadically-and-here-and-there wrong, peculiar, particular and downright laughable usages.
                                Yes, I can understand that in terms of how it might make it difficult to transfer particular posts to this thread to the Pedantry one, so I wonder whether you might consider there to be sufficient commonality in principle between the two - i.e. between one about phrases and words that bother people and another dealing with pedantry of which at least a fair proportion seems to centre around spoken and written issues (including idioms and grammatical niceties); what say you about the possibility of a wholesale merger (which would presumably be easier than picking of posts one at a time to move elsehere)?

On a related topic, mightn't your "English-as-she-is-spoke..." and P. G.'s "mother country" (and perhaps "mother tongue") risk being considered less than politically correct? Whilst they don't exactly set my teeth on edge, I do not seek to espouse pedantry by asking...

Comment

Working...
                                X