Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    It's a paradox, ah, but I've lost the will to explain.
    You seem to be losing a great deal of will on a number of fronts but I will leave you to continue to do so with or without accompanying explanation/s at your discretion.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      You seem to be losing a great deal of will on a number of fronts but I will leave you to continue to do so with or without accompanying explanation/s at your discretion.
      It might well be a paradox to have to make a will in order to explain anything.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        It might well be a paradox to have to make a will in order to explain anything.
        That might depend on whether or not you are - or retain - an inheritance tax lawyer...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

"Our"? "Beautiful"? Game it may be, but it certainly isn't mine and I find no beauty in it even if others claim to do so.
          You are absolutely correct, ahinton ... It certainly isn't your beautiful game .... nor mine either. It is simply 'ours'.

If you are unable to see any beauty in the game that is entirely a matter for you and certainly not me or 'we'.

At least you had the honesty and decency to pinpoint the precise source of human failure in the matter.

I therefore salute you and strongly believe that you thoroughly deserve an honorary degree, ahinton!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
            You are absolutely correct, ahinton ... It certainly isn't your beautiful game .... nor mine either. It is simply 'ours'.

If you are unable to see any beauty in the game that is entirely a matter for you and certainly not me or 'we'.

At least you had the honesty and decency to pinpoint the precise source of human failure in the matter.

I therefore salute you and strongly believe that you thoroughly deserve an honorary degree, ahinton!
            It isn't a "failure"; it is a viewpoint.

May I counsel you not to fall into the Sydney Grewish trap of resorting to this unidentifiable "we" or other first person plural expressions such as "ours"; it doesn't assist your cause (whatever it might be at any given moment of such use).

I accept your salute graciously but cannot see how what I wrote merits the granting of an honorary degree...

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I...cannot see how what I wrote merits the granting of an honorary degree...
              The point being that that requires no merit whatsoever. The usage is meant to illustrate what previous contributors to this thread have already decreed.

A bit like Padraig's loss of will...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                The point being that that requires no merit whatsoever.
                Goaaaaal !!!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

But that would surely depends upon the definition of "merit"? An honorary degree differs from the other kind for one reason of "merit", but if such a degree is not warranted in the first place, there would be no reason for it to be granted and my point (insofar as it was one) was that Tippster's suggestion that I deserve one, in his view, seems to make little if any sense to the extent of his omission to clarify why and what grounds he takes that view; he does not even specify what kind of honorary degree in what subject/s it would be!

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Goaaaaal !!!
                    Owwwwwn goaaaaal, peut-être ???

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Although, leaving the present case aside, it could be disputed that an honorary degree 'requires no merit whatsoever'. Theoretically, they are awarded to people who have shown some merit or achievement in their lives subsequent to any formal possibility of an academic degree.

Though one might think that sometimes the honorary degrees is a bit pointless, since it is an 'academic award' without the necessary academic discipline. An MA might go to a long-serving departmental secretary and a PhD to a popular broadcaster (In the latter case, I believe etiquette is that the title 'Dr' is only used by the awarding institution in connection with the institution's business, not by the holder of the degree or others).

Wrong thread?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        In the latter case, I believe etiquette is that the title 'Dr' is only used by the awarding institution in connection with the institution's business, not by the holder of the degree or others
                        You could always go the Paisley route and simply decide to call yourself Dr anyway?

Where does this leave Professor Green?
                        or Dr Hook?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Where does this leave Professor Green?
                          In the Library with the lead piping?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Although, leaving the present case aside, it could be disputed that an honorary degree 'requires no merit whatsoever'. Theoretically, they are awarded to people who have shown some merit or achievement in their lives subsequent to any formal possibility of an academic degree.

Though one might think that sometimes the honorary degrees is a bit pointless, since it is an 'academic award' without the necessary academic discipline. An MA might go to a long-serving departmental secretary and a PhD to a popular broadcaster (In the latter case, I believe etiquette is that the title 'Dr' is only used by the awarding institution in connection with the institution's business, not by the holder of the degree or others).

Wrong thread?
                            Well, that would surely be for you to decide, wouldn't it?...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

It isn't a "failure"; it is a viewpoint.

May I counsel you not to fall into the Sydney Grewish trap of resorting to this unidentifiable "we" or other first person plural expressions such as "ours"; it doesn't assist your cause (whatever it might be at any given moment of such use).

I accept your salute graciously but cannot see how what I wrote merits the granting of an honorary degree...
                              Firstly, and most importantly, I really miss the original, marvellously outrageous contributions of Mr Sydney Grew? Where has he gone, I wonder? Please come back, Mr Grew, 'we' miss you!!

Meanwhile, ahinton, I'm delighted you have graciously accepted my previous salutation. As Jean has already hinted there is absolutely no requirement for you, me, or indeed 'we', to see any merit whatsoever in the granting of an honorary degree.

Therefore I also see absolutely no reason for you to be so openly modest and self-effacing, ahinton!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                In the Library with the lead piping?
                                which reminds me of LOL moment from a " Sherlock" that I watched the other night, ( been watching the odd bit of telly recently as middle sprog is at home for the moment and has a Netflix subscription and a big telly !!) when Dr Wotsit says to Sherlock " That's the last time I play Cluedo with you !!"

Anyhow, back to Honorary degrees, Steve Redgrave has at least four.
                                IMO, they are a bit disrespectful to people who have actually studied for an actual degree. But I imagine I have the wrong end of the stick.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X